• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Sitemap For Ecommerce Website?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

Is there any reason to create a Google sitemap for an eCommerce website?

<loc>http://www.mysite.com/</loc>
<lastmod>2006-07-21T14:12:53+00:00</lastmod>
<changefreq>daily</changefreq>
<priority>1.0</priority>

When I look at the general fields for the sitemap xml file, I can generate the "loc" and "lastmod" info from the database but the other fields are more speculative which would lead me to entering a guesswork priority and changefreq (perhaps weekly).

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:19 AM

If the pages are already being spidered and indexed, no an xml sitemap isn't going to help you much if at all.

If those pages are not being picked up an xml sitemap may help in getting them noticed.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:36 AM

Many people claim that if they're adding new products daily, the sitemap can help them get indexed faster. So that could be a good reason to use one.

#4 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

I checked with the admin and new products are getting added, but rarely now.

However I have given them some homework which includes beefing up the product descriptions, etc. The original descriptions and related product content were not only copy/paste, but frequently didn't amount to a well-written sentence.

Yes, this is related to the cookie-cutter content ecommerce site so well documented in other posts. I have passed along some other homework to them which seems to require sufficient quantities of high-octane novocaine.

I'm staggering towards the assumption that the original descriptions were so minimal that they may have lured the bots into a daze and they may need a refresher.

#5 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:00 AM

i'll pm you a good sitemap generator tool. I've already posted it but it seemed it was too dangerous for the forum.

#6 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:03 AM

For what it's worth, this particular website is born from Joomla with Virtuemart for the eCommerce solution and I have implemented sh404SEF.

#7 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

most decent sitemap generators will create them via your internal linking. This eliminates the probability of error.

#8 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:15 AM

Frankly, I wouldn't bother with the sitemap on the setup you've got.
It's exactly the same as what I've used on a couple of e-commerce site and Google has no problems indexing the pages and frankly I'm loathe to give Google any data on the network of sites I run.

However, I would have a user based site map with all your pages/categories.

#9 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:18 AM

I've written a PHP script to generate the XML sitemap, but haven't submitted it yet. Including regular pages it will have over 500 entries. There is a search function for the human visitor and also a navigable category tree. In addition I set up an alphabetized dropdown list, alphabetized by category, then product, using some javascript.

Again, I'm primarily concerned that as the admin rewrites pages that the search engines have not be so lulled that they will revisit the once-lame pages within the century, preferably within a week or two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.