• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Facebooking Dangers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#16 ganalon

ganalon

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:40 PM

I'm actually a facebook junkie, but I'm concerned about polluting my facebook page with non-friend stuff as I try to brand/market my site. My girlfriend created a separate fan page that is strictly for business. Perhaps that is the way to go.

#17 hulio

hulio

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

I actually addressed this issue with my Marketing VP, and we decided to have our employees set up "business" accounts that reflect the company. No personal friend connections allowed. It's also just an added level of protection for our employees. It's a bit against the point of social media, and it's been a bit of a slow go at first, but it seems to be working.

#18 CTPhil

CTPhil

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:22 PM

Whenever I post on FB I do so as if the whole world can see it. It's a simple filter and keeps me out of trouble. It's basically just being on your best behavior, which is how I try to interact with the internet in general. If I have something off color, religious, or political to say to someone, the PM works fine.

#19 Brismom

Brismom

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 06:37 AM

Facebook should really be used as a tool to communicate with your customers who choose to be a fan of your business fan page. This is a great way to advertise specials or sales and to keep them updated in real time and also communicate in real time. Facebook is excellent for business growth if used in the right way.

#20 Katja

Katja

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 December 2010 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE(Brismom @ Feb 10 2010, 12:37 PM) View Post
Facebook should really be used as a tool to communicate with your customers who choose to be a fan of your business fan page. This is a great way to advertise specials or sales and to keep them updated in real time and also communicate in real time. Facebook is excellent for business growth if used in the right way.

Yes, I have been thinking about that for some time. Right now I have a Facebook account which really isn't business oriented at all, with old friends and family from all over the world... yes it's best to keep it separated, business and private. But I still don't understand how people can spend all days on Facebook, just milking digital cows on Farmville smile.gif, there just must be more interesting stuff to do in life.

#21 origamiFOLDER

origamiFOLDER

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE(Scottie @ Aug 5 2009, 08:59 AM) View Post
I am amazed at what people post on Facebook.

Sometimes, I think they forget who's in their list... I've seen more than one update followed by a mom-comment of, "You did what???"

[...] I started to post on my FB status that I was really tired of watching the tail wag the dog but realized several of the people who called this meeting are in my "friends" list. Which is annoying in and of itself. Removing them has additional implications. [...]

Privacy settings is where it's at! You can create limited profiles for different groups of people which makes all the difference in the world! For ex. If you're a big fan of expressing your emotions abut work on your status, you can prevent co-workers from seeing your feed & your wall! Etc.

Be smart, play it safe now, so when, yes, we all slip up sometime, when you forget, you'll have your tail covered.

#22 wings21

wings21

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:36 AM

I think because of the reach facebook now has, with everyone using it, everything has to be taken into consideration. Who's posting (if it's a business related post coming from a personal account, is it going to be received more readily as "word of mouth" or more likely to be dismissed as not being "authentic" or professional?"

Then you have the issue of businesses that are steadily using facebook as a means of gaining followers, positive WOM and adverting/promotion and marketing. They can quickly gain a bad rep if not using morals/ethics with their business profile. For example, I've seen instances of business profiles deleting bad reviews psoted on their website....the implication of that is then, the changes someone out there has seen it before you deleted it are high. You then risk the poster reposting, and if you are consistently doing it, you risk multiple people calling you out of the businesses' professionalism.

I guess bottom line, is keep personal and business profiles completely seperate, and be aware of perception.....
  • chrishirst likes this

#23 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,844 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

I guess bottom line, is keep personal and business profiles completely seperate, and be aware of perception.....

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

There is an increasingly "blurring" of the line between business and social activity, Sure, one year you got absolutely rat-arsed at the office Christmas party and ended up "bumping uglies" in the toilet/store room with the bosses PA, or you photocopied your nether regions and emailed them to everyone, does that mean you are not fit to do the job you are employed/contracted to do?

Naargh, 'course it doesn't. It just means you are a human being and can do some damned stupid things when not actually working. Just because they are not breathtakingly hilarious later doesn't mean they were not at the time.

Same with teenagers, Hell I'm sure that we all did things that we now think of as "too risky" or not being good for the "image".

The only way that we really know where the line is drawn, is to cross it a few times.

#24 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

Sure, one year you got absolutely rat-arsed at the office Christmas party and ended up "bumping uglies" in the toilet/store room with the bosses PA, or you photocopied your nether regions and emailed them to everyone, does that mean you are not fit to do the job you are employed/contracted to do?

:lol: speaking from experience?

#25 wings21

wings21

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

I agree, how many people have made the rookie mistake of calling in for a "sickie", only to then put pictures of you up at the beach....forgetting who's watching.

Business/personal it all spills over...6 degrees of seperation theory applies here. Everyone's interlinked in someway - if you're not happy with EVERYONE knowing something you post, best to be safe and not post at all...too risky that e-karma will come back to bite you!

#26 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,844 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

:lol: speaking from experience?

My lips are sealed on the matter.
  • Jill likes this

#27 Cwtguy87

Cwtguy87

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

A Big Danger of Facebook is a Lack of Consistency and Quality

Believe it or not, having a Facebook page for your company or website can be quite a burden especially if you are smaller and do not have the time or resources (in my case interest) to put into the page to make it look great and provide something useful.

Posting links to your newest posts or content does not help. People want those reminders but they want information not available there. They want to engage with you. They want to participate and be part of something. If you cannot provide other interesting content, ask questions, share images, offer freebies, etc. you could be in danger of looking irrelevant, lazy, or unprofessional.

The worst you could do is register your business name and develop the website with a link to your social networks at the top of your page. Now every vistor who goes there sees a lack of dedication and focus. I have defensively registered my Facebook name but have provided no links or ability to get to the page.

I stick with the social media I actually have an interest in and can engage in with my readers. In my case that is Google+ and Twitter.

I hope that helps.

#28 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

Well.. I see Facebook anyways as a place or universe for marketers... I mean.. why facebook exists is because of the market out there. Every new facebook member can be a new potential client you can sell something. That's why there is value. That you can connect with friends is more or less a side-product to keep you there. But if facebook would not be open for this capitalistic system - no one would really care - no money --> no value. 

#29 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,844 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:41 PM

Every new facebook member can be a new potential client you can sell something

But ONLY if what you are trying to sell has a some 'social' aspect, I regularly talk to one person on another forum who has finally accepted that Facebook isn't really the best place to 'market' his 'local' tax consultancy service. He had "read somewhere" that Facebook was THE best place to sell his services, but once there with his "facebook page"  he found that conversions were not exactly the overwhelming success that had been suggested, but were abysmally low,  less than 0.01% abysmally low. So after several months of getting 'friends', 'likes' etc.,  he could have been  getting better conversions from an advert on the local library notice board with much less time wasted and effort expended.

People mostly go to facebook to escape the drudgery of real life for a while, trying to 'engage' them with something mundane isn't really going to have much effect.

#30 reseo

reseo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

yeah.. you are absolutely right. It's mandatory to consider all aspects. Your business, your target audience and preferences from users. And of course what count's is the conversion rate. 

Different people, different preferences. Some like, Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram and each social platform has his own language and rules. And it will be also different if you are in the b2c/b2b business. For b2b for example, I would go with linkedin or xing.  And it also depends if you have "dead users" as friends or followers or not - what means, for instance looking at facebook, it can't hurt to consider your users edgerank. Social Media Marketing is a real living "creature" - lot's of things to consider, and truly hard work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!