• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Facebooking Dangers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:59 AM

I am amazed at what people post on Facebook.

Sometimes, I think they forget who's in their list... I've seen more than one update followed by a mom-comment of, "You did what???"

When it comes to business, I think you have to be super careful about what you post.

I'm having a really rotten day from a number of fronts and the biggest issue is that I am being forced to sit through a demo of an online subscription product that already does what our website does... and does it worse. Because the company has a nice looking brochure and a list of respectable sounding clients, it must be better than what we already have!! ignore.gif

I started to post on my FB status that I was really tired of watching the tail wag the dog but realized several of the people who called this meeting are in my "friends" list. Which is annoying in and of itself. Removing them has additional implications.

But it got me to thinking about all the status updates out there and who reads them... have you ever posted something and thought, "oh no..." when someone you forgot existed commented on it?

#2 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:08 AM

You need to be careful with Facebook, particularly private/public space issues.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:31 AM

Yes, it's a huge problem and will only get worse. Especially as the younger generation who were using FB in college and posting all their drunken pics, etc., are looking for jobs.

It's actually good if you know your mom or your boss or even just co-workers will see what you say as it can keep you from making a fool of yourself by mistake (most of the time).

I try to always picture those people when I'm about to tweet something I probably shouldn't and usually I stop. (Drunk tweeting is of course a problem!)

Of course, I have a technology guardian angel as many times when I've attempted to tweet something I know I shouldn't, technology intervenes somehow and it doesn't go through. I always take that as a sign and don't repost!

#4 portentint

portentint

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

I haven't had that issue yet, but just yesterday a developer at a client's office pointed to a Tweet I did and said "See, he doesn't know what he's doing!"

The Tweet was asking colleagues for an opinion on SSL load speed issues. I was asking, of course, to check my assumptions.

But that won't keep people from abusing the hell out of anything you let slip. Be careful...

#5 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

That's exactly what I mean. As people following you are clients, vendors and other business associates, it can be dangerous to be too casual!

#6 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:48 AM

This biggest problem with facebook is using it, don't use it, no problem , simple eh wink1.gif
  • jules likes this

#7 Conspicuous

Conspicuous

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

If you haven't already, you should really check out the Facebook lists feature.

You can segment your friends into different lists and assign different permissions to each list. Your BFFs have full access, your professional relationships don't have access to photos and wall posts, etc., and so on.

Access it at http://www.facebook.com/friends/

#8 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:49 PM

The definition of privacy is eroding and changing.

To a 17 year old privacy is a non-concept.
In the new economy privacy is not seen as an issue.
Land of abundance.

For a boomer or a business privacy is a big issue as they are still in old economy way of thinking.
Land of scarcity.

In 20 years our notion of privacy will change from privacy (you are going to abuse me!) to transparency (you have something to hide!).
Complete flip in viewpoint.

We run our businesses transparently.
You want to copy our business model? - go for it - but it will be a hard road to follow.

Life is much easier with transparency.

S

#9 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:55 PM

Business transparency and personal transparency are two totally different things in my mind. Businesses should be transparent of themselves, but have to take an opposite approach with customer data. If businesses don't make a huge effort to maintain customer's privacy they'll probably not be in business long.

On the whole personal privacy thing, with a bit of facebook thrown in, there was a article several weeks ago how a couple of college profs used publicly available information from places like Facebook where people put in their personal details to see if they could get someone's social security number. The testers were remarkably successful.

I don't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head, but I believe they ended up getting the first 5 SSN digits for like 80% and the full SSN for like 40-45%. Without even trying all that hard to get 'em. This little test certainly doesn't bode well for those concerned with protecting themselves from identity theft.

And of course anything out there can be used to stalk someone if you want to. I've got Google Alerts set up for a few people's names who are close to me. It's kinda fun to totally freak family and friends out by following/friending them literally a day or so after they create an account on the various social network platforms. They think I have ESP or something, when it's really just Google Alerts. giggle.gif Goodness knows anyone could use the same sort of thing to stalk the heck out of someone if I wanted to though.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,107 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:10 AM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Aug 6 2009, 10:48 AM) View Post
This biggest problem with facebook is using it, don't use it, no problem , simple eh wink1.gif

I'm 100% with you on that biggrin.gif

There are far better ways to waste time than messing about on Facebook. smile.gif

#11 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

Look at this post (From Shawn Hogan blog)
http://www.shawnhoga...ard-to-use.html

#12 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:04 PM

And it's only going to get more and more tricky now that Google has introduced Social Search (It's a link to a youtube video with Matt C explaining how it works.)

What I got from the video was that their search is going to look beyond first level connections. At least to the 2nd level and perhaps beyond.

While this can be a good thing I suppose, let's presume for a moment someone has a FB, personal blog or whatever account and has specifically made sure none of their bosses were friends. All well and good.

But then let's also suppose that someone they're friends with on FB or who has simply set up the Google Reader to pull a feed from the original persons blog, and that this person doesn't work for the company and might actually be friends with the boss, bosses wife or kids. So that eventually somewhere down the line there is a very, very loose social connection between the original person and the boss via mutual acquaintances.

The boss goes on Google and searches for his/her company name to see what customers may be saying about them, while he/she is logged in of course. Lo and behold, what pops up is a silly or stupid post Person 1 made sometime that was found because of this loose connection that the original person never even had any idea was there. hysterical.gif

Yeah, social networking is only going to get more and more interesting...

#13 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:05 PM

I have been on FB for a couple of months mostly lurking.
I have tapped into a crowd of musicians, mostly women over 40.

My thought is how tame, safe and lame the posting is.
There is nothing pithy about this.
No-thing remark-able.

I do not see this as a reputation enhancer for me at all.
I made a post that was a little risky - mildly outrageous and on topic to this crowd.
Did a postscript post right after explaining the risk.
No response - nobody rose to the bait - just safe safe safe and more safe responses.

#14 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

Now seriously, I see this as a real society problem .. cant' people be honest with everyone at the same time ? The one must think about that ..

QUOTE(Randy @ Oct 29 2009, 03:04 PM) View Post
Yeah, social networking is only going to get more and more interesting...

I love that you chose the word "interesting" , it's more like: Sit back, relax and enjoy watching!

#15 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:31 AM

Well, it is all very entertaining. giggle.gif The interesting seem to be those who don't really understand, but think they do. And yes I do have a couple of friends who are just like that, who entertain me immensely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!