• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Web Toolkit For Java

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bigcatnap

bigcatnap

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:37 PM

I'm considering a new developer. Heard he was really good but he wants to set up sites using Google Apps. Here's what he sent...

The site will be created using google web toolkit for java. GWT is responsible for creating a pure javascript/ajax website application.

The framework will incorporate a library called google data api. This will allow the application to access online google documents. These documents will belong to a specific group and must be public because they will contain the static content for the website. Each document will be a separate page. The name of the document will be the link name visible on the site. **NOTE: its a very basic implementation for now, but can be expanded to supply more functionality which should happen sooner than later IMO...

A non-javascript version of the site will also be created using php code to interface with google data api to retrieve the static content and build the site links. This version will be served under the following conditions:
1. If the browser does not support javascript, the user will be redirected here.
2. If a user wishes to make a printable copy of the website.
3. Will be used by search engine "bots" or "spiders"

Will this effect SEO of my sites (which are doing good now)? Thanks for any comments or help here!

#2 portentint

portentint

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

You'd be better off using javascript/AJAX to create one site that 'degrades gracefully': If someone visits the site in a javascript-enabled browser, they get all the cool AJAX stuff. If they visit the site in a browser that doesn't support javascript (ie a bot) they see the same content, just a bit less interactive.

I'm overly conservative sometimes, but I always get nervous about mirroring sites the way you're proposing. If they get out of sync, or if Google improves their javascript parsing ability, or if a human review of your site goes wrong, you could end up in trouble.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:42 PM

I agree. There are ways to make a site degrade gracefully. But I'm confused by the reference to Java.

Are we talking Java or Javascript? They're two entirely different things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.