• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Embeded Tide Calculator

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:34 PM

Has anyone any guidance as to where to find a workable "Tide Calculator" script that can be incorporated within a Web Page for UK Tides.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:25 PM

hmm... nothing off the top of my head. But I'll throw out a couple of things, one I remember reading about some months ago and another I just know for some crazy reason. (Gotta be a crazy reason since I have no need to know anything about tides sitting here smack in the middle of the US, a good 2,000 miles from any ocean tide. lol.gif)

Is there any governmental department like the NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) in the UK? I know NOAA supplies tidal data in all sorts of forms and formats here. I know they make available real time observations, historical data and predictions, all of which can be used for different applications. Getting to the data and getting access to it in a usable form would be the largest hurdle me thinks. Even a simple xml feed from different reporting stations would work and allow someone to build an application to display the data, or even to overlay it over a map for a nice visual effect.

Which brings me to the thing I remember reading about some time ago. There was some sort of project I read about late last year I believe where the Google Earth application was being considered to display all sorts of oceanic information. Ranging from where shipwrecks were thought to be to where underwater cables had been laid. It was all very beta when I looked at it, but it's been several months so who knows what's been done since then. I seem to recall there being a discussion among some of the players back then of potentially calling it Google Ocean, even though at the time I don't believe there was any official Google involvement. I do specifically remember though that someone had done a mash up of data being supplied by worldwide weather buoys and laid it out over what appeared to be a Google Earth map.

I tried to find the article again because it had some links in it. Unfortunately I been able to locate it in my history. Probably got wiped out since it's been several months.

#3 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

There is an embeddable Tide and Current calculator that did USA and Europe and UK etc. But the Uk oceanographic or whatever took action saying the tool had contents that infringed their copyright. Cease and desist then saw to it that the tool now does the world minus the UK.

A nice little JavaScript embedded tool would suit me down to the ground. It's just finding one.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 08:19 PM

hysterical.gif That's rich! So they considered the tide height data to be theirs and not Mother Nature's?

I think she should sue them.

But yeah, that's the problem is getting the accurate data. Unless someone else is (legally) recording the information somewhere and making it available for use you're going to run into the same blank wall no matter how you retrieve and display the data. Not that I believe it can actually be copyrighted mind you. But they could disallow permission to use data they've collected. Or require a license to use their data feed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.