• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Are Frames A No-no?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ch3rry

ch3rry

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:09 AM

can anyone tell me?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:42 AM

Strictly speaking, no frames are not a no-no. The search engines can index framed pages just fine, however there are some caveats.

The main issue is that when the engines index framed sites they crawl and index each of the files/pages that make up the frame. And those are the pages that will appear in their index for users to click on since those are the ones that contain actual content.

So if you have a typical setup where you have one frame that controls and shows all of the navigation elements of the visual page, and another frame that contains the content you'll usually see the 2nd page showing up in the SERPs. Meaning if someone were to click through they get your content, but then have no way to navigate further around your site. This obviously raises usability issues for your visitors.

There are several ways you can combat this, the simplest being to have a bit of javascript or something at the top of each of your pages that gets pulled into the framed page that checks to see if it's the parent window or not. If it's not the parent do nothing because the other frames should already be there. If it is the parent fire a redirect that will get the users to the page that contains both/all of your frame references.

FWIW, for the way most have traditionally used framed pages, there are simply easier and better ways to do the same sort of thing these days, ways that don't carry the same problems. For instance, you could use Server Side Includes, PHP Includes and the like to pull your navigation elements right into the page for you.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:39 PM

Are Frames A No-no?

For many reasons, yes.

Certainly you can work around their many usability and search engine nightmares, but in 2009, why bother?

#4 ch3rry

ch3rry

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:38 PM

thanks!

#5 mcanerin

mcanerin

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 02:58 PM

People still use frames? omg.gif

Technically, you could make them work. But it's not really recommended to try.

#6 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

LOL- I love that this question is still around.

For the average site, there's no need for frames. Frames were popular in the days before SSI and dynamic sites because they reduced repetitive code! They were awesome.

I used to say frames were still good for online applications and sites where a lot of scrolling was required but these days with CSS and fixed positioning, there is really no good use for frames.

#7 madams

madams

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:35 AM

here is really no good use for frames

I beg to differ

I use frames on my site to show availability calendars for rental properties.

This allows other agents to imbed the same calendar in their web pages.

Everyone has an up-to-date copy at all times.

Of course, I am not bothered how the SE see this, it is purely for real people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!