• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Internal Text Link Appearing As Normal Text ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:36 AM

Well said, maleman in post #14, I'm surprised it took so long for somebody to say it like it is.

#17 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:29 AM

I'm going to assume that your request in genuine, because otherwise you'd have asked how can I hide some links on a page, for which there are many answers and techniques. Having a link which is only active when a user hovers over it, and which cannot be distinguished from other text on the page in its normal state is going to limit the chance of people being able to identify it as a link. This will mean that people won't click on it. My advice is therefore that you try and find a tone or shade of text that at least gives it the minimum of distinction from the main text body so that people can see it is a link.

Some of the most enjoyable website's I have seen have had a usability of zero, so I understand that not all websites are created for the same purpose. Sometimes usability would simply kill the fun.

2Clean.

#18 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(robmarketshare @ Aug 2 2009, 05:36 AM) View Post
@scottie: just want to be the only male person in Europe to do some hoovering !

Hehehehe.

As the others have said... if it's a link worth having on the page, then it's worth alerting the visitor that it is a link. What does that hurt, really?

Instead of making the links identical to the text, maybe you want to reconsider your styling for in page links. It is annoying to have 2/3 of every sentence in bright red with a purple rollover effect. But a more subtle scheme can still alert visitors to clickable text without smacking them in the face with it.

#19 robmarketshare

robmarketshare

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE(piskie @ Aug 2 2009, 11:36 AM) View Post
Well said, maleman in post #14, I'm surprised it took so long for somebody to say it like it is.

If all things were this simple, I would not have to ask the question...

To everybody : Thanks for your constructive replies!
(i just succeeded in convincing the client to do some redesign and improve the over all user experience ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!