• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Microsoft And Yahoo! Team Up To Take On Google

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#31 Seastone

Seastone

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 20 2009, 09:49 AM) View Post
Yeah, that's the likely outcome.

OK thanks (anyone else heard any news?)

Does anyone remember if that's what happened back when Yahoo Search was "powered by Google"?
(same order of results on both sites for the same query)

#32 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,006 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:16 AM

Does anyone remember if that's what happened back when Yahoo Search was "powered by Google"?

Yes, for the most part. Yahoo was allowed to make their own changes, however. Don't know if that will still be the case or not.

#33 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 03:14 AM

I am not sure this is ghood for the industry personally. in reality it means we have one less independent body pushing search forward.

#34 Seastone

Seastone

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:40 AM

Thanks folks. I guess another question concerns the SEM/PPC side. Apparently the word (from an Adcenter rep) is that they'd be standardizing on Adcenter's platform for PPC. I guess this means that YSM's Dashboard goes away. Currently Adcenter has:

Select your bid type and ad distribution
•Search network
•Content network

So I wonder if after the deal it would also include a third choice like:

•Yahoo network

???

#35 Ocipital

Ocipital

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:51 PM

Gah! As someone who detests monopolies I'm loathe for Google to continue to dominate so absolutely, and yet... Microsoft haven't exactly played nice in areas where they dominate (eg Desktop operating systems). They also have a habit of coming into areas where they were nothing and muscling their way to the lead by sheer weight of money backing (ie XBOX in the console market). As much as I loathe Googles domination, I'd take their behaviour any day over Microsoft's.

We really need a third, completely alternative player. Shame that Wikia Search burned so royally before ever taking off.

#36 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:39 PM

Well, as Steve Ballmer might say, "Nothing got approved (yet)! Nothing went through (yet)!"

#37 thx1138

thx1138

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Oct 5 2009, 05:39 PM) View Post
Well, as Steve Ballmer might say, "Nothing got approved (yet)! Nothing went through (yet)!"

The UK press are reporting the deal will go ahead:-

Microsoft and Yahoo! have won regulatory approval for their search partnership to challenge Google, the marker leader.

Under the terms of the ten-year "Microhoo" partnership, Yahoo! will use Microsoft's new Bing search engine technology on its own sites, while Yahoo! will act as the exclusive global sales force for the companies' premium search advertisers.

http://business.time...icle7032691.ece

I wonder if they will realistically be able to put a dent in Google's dominance?

#38 SelfMade

SelfMade

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE(thx1138 @ Feb 18 2010, 11:58 PM) View Post
Under the terms of the ten-year "Microhoo" partnership, Yahoo! will use Microsoft's new Bing search engine technology on its own sites, while Yahoo! will act as the exclusive global sales force for the companies' premium search advertisers.

http://business.time...icle7032691.ece

I wonder if they will realistically be able to put a dent in Google's dominance?

If the BING search engine wasn't so s censored.gif t, then this somewhat ambitious "scenario" (!)we have "evolving" would have an ounce of credibility far beyond tomfoolery!!!

Right now I have over 100 sites in the SE's and a statistically paltry amount of total traffic comes from Bing Despite a fair proportion of them being on their first page.

Mr Gates has attempted to infringe googles dominance god knows how many times..... to no avail!!!

unsure.gif

#39 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

In my personal network Bing referrals are running neck-and-neck with Yahoo! referrals, and that is a drastic change from last month where Yahoo! was still beating Bing.

Microsoft did not need this search alliance in order to compete with Google. Nor did they need it to capture more query data, as they argue. They have been steadily gaining market share against Yahoo! since last July.

Consumers are losing a great second algorithm. Bing is a good search engine but it's still not as good as Yahoo!. The wrong algorithm won the war.

Advertisers can expect to start paying more for PPC ad slots since the competition for fewer slots usually drives prices up. Creating scarcity at a time like this is just insane.

The people at the DOJ and EU commission were basically bamboozled by BS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!