• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Microsoft And Yahoo! Team Up To Take On Google

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#16 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:06 AM

I can't say I've ever seen a site getting more than a fraction of it's search traffic from Live/Bing or Yahoo... and I've looked extensively. It was a pet project of mine for a while.

I'm not saying I don't believe that it can happen because there are all sorts of different niches and demographics out there but none of the ones I've worked on had significant traffic from either.

#17 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

It's hard to filter out discussions where people admit to being banned from Google but this SERP shows people claiming to get more traffic from Yahoo! across many sites.

Some of them undoubtedly were banned or penalized in Google. However, I still find many sites where no SEO has been done that seem to perform better in Yahoo! and Microsoft than in Google. That is, for active queries where I backtrack results from Yahoo! and Microsoft, I find sites that are not appearing in approximately comparable results in Google.

Of course, the types of queries people use on all three search engines can vary greatly, so it's very subjective how one decides which queries are comparable. The overlapping queries (shared between all three services) tend to comprise a small (though significant) fraction of overall queries in search referral data that I analyze.

#18 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

Just out of curiosity, I checked my current work site to see where our search traffic was coming from.

We get a little over 40,000 visitors from the search engines a month:

Google 79%
Yahoo 13%
Bing 5%
AOL 3% (enhanced by Google)
AT&T 1% (enhanced by Google)
RR 1% (enhanced by Google)

18% is nothing to sneeze at and I wouldn't turn it away, but that's very representative of the research I did before on close to 30 sites, mine and clients and friends...

As I say, I wouldn't claim it's the same for every site, every niche, every country but these percentages have been consistent over the years for the sites I've had access to, despite Microsoft's efforts to buy traffic to their engine.

(Which I enjoy, BTW. I do use Bing's Cashback program- it was awesome last year when they were giving 30% off Ebay purchases...)

#19 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

It's definitely not the same even within many sites.

Take Xenite.Org, for example. Most of our search traffic comes from Google. However, for some queries we get 10 times the amount of traffic from Microsoft or Yahoo! that we do from Google.

It comes down to demographics and how much optimization people do for search engines other than Google. People who don't pay attention to Yahoo! and Microsoft often see less traffic simply because they don't even research which keywords work best on those search engines and build content for those keywords (and note that I said "content for those keywords" -- I don't support the idea of creating content for specific search engines).

Each of the major search engines has a core audience that runs into the millions. That core audience almost never uses other search tools. The rest of us (the majority of searchers) use multiple search engines, even though some people favor one over the others.

The thing is, we don't use these search engines (typically) to search for the same stuff. When you rule out vanity searches, people tend to categorize or niche their search tools for specific functions.

What Microsoft and Yahoo! have failed to, but which Google has done exceptionally well, is leverage their content so that people keep clicking through their own links.

Google isn't trying to be ubiquitous to search, it's trying to be ubiquitous to the Web. Yahoo! seems to act like search is just there because it's always been there. Microsoft acts like search is there solely for the purpose of bringing them additional advertising.

All those Google page views aren't even monetized, so they have untapped growth potential.

But all those search results on Yahoo! and Microsoft tend to be undermonetized as well. Many Web marketers have convinced themselves through community feedback that only Google matters. Hence, they only see that Google matters because they are not looking at where Microsoft and Yahoo! matter more than Google.

I easily doubled my Microsoft search referral traffic by changing my network's site search tool from Google to Microsoft. My Google search referral traffic only went down a little bit -- and if I had looked no further than that, I would have concluded that Google drives more search referrals than Microsoft.

But by leveraging Microsoft's better indexing of my deep content I was able to increase my search referral traffic overall.

I don't optimize for Microsoft and Yahoo! but I probably should. Only lack of time and energy prevent me from capitalizing on the queries in my referral data where Google visitors are vastly outnumbered by Microsoft and Yahoo! visitors.

I've looked at analytics for many sites and in nearly every case I've found queries there were gold mines of traffic from non-Google sources. Those queries represent doorways to search optimization opportunities that are usually ignored by people in our industry.

#20 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:03 AM

However, for some queries we get 10 times the amount of traffic from Microsoft or Yahoo! that we do from Google.

For SOME queries. You rank better on those keywords at Yahoo or MS than Google.

Because you get 10 visitors on one phrase from Yahoo and only 1 from Google certainly doesn't mean more people are searching at Yahoo than Google.

#21 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:32 AM

Exactly, Yahoo/Bing delivers a different kind of visitor. More old school family types

#22 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:40 AM

I must have missed this thread!

Well there goes my choice, and like Michael implies , it will likely drive the cost up for advertising channels.

Jill, I used to use AltaVista a lot, I liked it as a search, as soon as Yahoo took over I stopped using it, that's how I ended up on G! as my main search engine.

I even used Dogpile for a while, as it returned results from multiple SE's in one resuts page.

Surely the fact some people use MSN/Live/Bing or Yahoo is because they are anti G!, so what about those Yahoo surfers who are anti G! and anti Microsoft. Now what?

Instead of increasing their visitor streams and market percentage, won't they possible loose even more surfers rather than gain them with this merger?

I beleive a lot of Yahoo and MSN visitors is purely down to forcing default search configurations or toolbars onto people, who don't know any better or sometimes even how to change it, alot of what any SE does IMO is unethical, so I doubt anything will change there.

Infact I use bing as an alternative when i get peed off with the G! results, if it's now Yahoo, like I said my choice has become rather limited.

Damn it! where are you CUIL when we need you?

Edited by 1dmf, 05 August 2009 - 10:08 AM.

#23 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:53 AM

it'll be interesting to see how bing/yaoo teamup will turn out. Do two wrongs make a right, or do two wrongs make more wrong. I'd say the latter.

#24 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:33 AM

Infact I use bing as an alternative when i get peed off with the G! results, if it's now Yahoo

No, it's the other way around. Yahoo will now be Bing. (But not until sometime in 2010 I believe.)

#25 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:38 AM

So has Yahoo agreed that MS's algo is now superior than Yahoo?

Did they use the same algo? , are they going to merge the algo's

they might change the paint work and badge, but what's actually under the hood?

#26 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

1dmf, you may want to read the article on first page here of Danny Sullivan's FAQ.

I don't believe that Bing being a better search engine was part of the equation.

#27 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:11 AM

The press release states that Bing will take over Yahoo's search results over the next 2 years.

#28 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:26 AM

I don't believe that Bing being a better search engine was part of the equation.
Then it has nothing to do with giving quality, relevant search results. I was right with my initial gut instinct, it's all about money. Yahoo make over a billion dollars according to the last FT article I read, even with their costly search technology.

But they are still prepared to give it up and offer inferior quality search results just to make more money and concentrate on crap, crap that put excite out of business in this country, all excite do now is rip people off for fake adverts with fake visitor stats (and I'm talking from direct experience).

Dunno sometimes I feel it's just me, like i'm a leppar or wierd or something, but I don't use MSN or Excite, never have and never would, the reason G! is so popular for search is because that's what they do...ok as they have expanded they've added to their portfolio and diversified more than anyone would have originally thought, what with their own browser, google earth etc..

But they have stuck to their core for their main site, which is SEARCH.

Their homepage has never been cluttered with crap , flashing adverts, or other you find on yahoo / msn or excite.. and that is why they are no.1

So basically from what i can gather Yahoo have given up and so for me its days are numbered, it can go crawl under the same rock as Excite as far as i'm concerned.

Yahoo is dead, long live Bing tongue.gif .... (banana.gif go CUIL, go GOOGLE, go CUIL, go GOOGLE banana.gif)

#29 Seastone

Seastone

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:53 AM

I haven't posted in a while, so pardon me if this has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it when I used the search here, so here goes...

After this deal between MS and Yahoo goes through (and it WILL, very little doubt) and Yahoo Search will be "powered by Bing"...

Lets say I type "apple pie" into Bing.com

Then I type "apple pie" into Yahoo.com

Will the search results on both pages be exactly the same?

(IE: the page that ranks say, 9th on Bing will also be 9th on Yahoo)

#30 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:49 AM

Will the search results on both pages be exactly the same?

Yeah, that's the likely outcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!