• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Moving From Blogger.com To Wordpress

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Trilitech

Trilitech

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 09:05 PM

I have a blog currently hosted at ____.blogspot.com with quite a few links and some rankings that I would really like to move to a self-hosted wordpress setup on a new domain. I'm looking for a good way of doing this without loosing any rankings. Blogger doesn't provide any way to do a 301, so I'm just left with two options that I can see.

1. Use their interface to tell it my blog has moved to the new address. When doing this, it puts up a pretty nasty page to let visitors know the site moved (and may have spam/viruses/etc) with a link to go to the new site. As far as I can tell this isn't going to pass (hardly) any of the link juice/rankings to the new site unless Google has some internal rigging to make it work considering they own Blogger.

2. Add a bunch of 0 second Meta Refresh tags to all the old pages pointing to the new ones. This isn't ideal, but from what I can find from searching, it appears to be the next best thing to a 301. It looks like it may pass the link juice with a slight bit of distrust.

Any suggestions on which approach to take or if there's another option? Has anyone done this before and can verify if it does or does not work?

#2 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:06 AM

Basically you aren't going to be able to pass any domain value onto your new domain at a search level easily as these messages are sent back at a server level. I'd avoid the meta refresh and I'd probably just put a layer over the blogspot content and tell users that the blog address has changed and this is the only method that you can point them to the new address. If the new site has a new design I'd put that design style in the layer, maybe even a screenshot to help convince users that the new blog is written by the old authors.

Be honest with your users and they won't feel bad.

#3 bwelford

bwelford

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:47 AM

I go along with the approach you're suggesting, 2clean. If the new single page you leave on the blogspot location has only one link on it to the new website, then at least all the link juice (minus a small percent that is lost) is going to the new website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.