• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keywords In Domain Vs. Volume Of Content

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:50 AM

Bingo! And that's why when people are so sure it's the domain name, they really shouldn't be.
lol - but I thought you weren't even sure yourself...so how do you know wink1.gif

Hehe...maybe we should be buying stock in strapping machines!
or keyword rich domain names and hold the strapping machine world to randsom.

lol that sounds like one of those magazines they use at the end of 'Have I got News For You'.

Stapping Machine World hysterical.gif

#47 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:10 AM

lol - but I thought you weren't even sure yourself...so how do you know

Exactly. I'm not and I don't.

#48 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:47 AM

They're better formatted in regards onsite, have more links, and are more relvant to the term than BJ.

I wouldn't say that's the case right now adibranch. At least not for the main landing page. Though I will agree the potential is there. It just hasn't been fully realized at this point.

check his results for the term 'brian jepson'

And did you also make mental note that the actual competition for the proper name is greater than the competition for the strapping machines phrase? After all, the name is shared by an editor/author for O'Rielly's, so has received some press from some well established sites. No great amount of competition still for the proper name, but still greater by orders of magnitude than the original phrase.

#49 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:31 AM

yep i did notice that , and was expecting it to be your next point.

Shall we draw a line under this and just say 'yes, adi is right' and leave it at that ... that seems to be the best idea to me smile.gif then we're all happy.. at least, i am anyway.

#50 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

Only one problem adi. You're not right. wink1.gif

We could draw a line and say we agree to disagree, as long as you promise to stop pushing your theory that keywords in a domain have a major effect on rankings.

An effect, possibly a small one that can be seen in totally uncompetitive markets. An effect because of links containing the keyworded domain definitely. But not a major effect in and of itself.

Want me to purchase a non-keyworded co.uk domain, apply my talents and blow all of your strapping machine examples of how keyworded domains supposedly have such a major effect out of the water? Pay me 15 grand up front and I'll do it. Hell, I'd even link to your site so that you get the business if anybody feels moved to click through. giggle.gif

#51 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

Now that's putting your money where your mouth is Randy. notworthy.gif

#52 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:52 AM

Now that's putting your money where your mouth is Randy.

Err no I think that was the other way round , he asked for 15k not offered 15k

Pay me 15 grand up front and I'll do it.

#53 Fashionman

Fashionman

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:38 AM

Ok, I too have been following this thread, and whilst I am not yet qualified to add any useful advice, I think this question might open up the topic. I have a google site, with relevant keywords in the URL, but does the presence of sites.google.com in the URL also contribute to a higher PR?

I ask this because my site has yet to be spidered, but it is only 7 weeks in the making.

#54 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:36 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Aug 6 2009, 01:47 PM) View Post
Only one problem adi. You're not right. wink1.gif

We could draw a line and say we agree to disagree, as long as you promise to stop pushing your theory that keywords in a domain have a major effect on rankings.

An effect, possibly a small one that can be seen in totally uncompetitive markets. An effect because of links containing the keyworded domain definitely. But not a major effect in and of itself.

Want me to purchase a non-keyworded co.uk domain, apply my talents and blow all of your strapping machine examples of how keyworded domains supposedly have such a major effect out of the water? Pay me 15 grand up front and I'll do it. Hell, I'd even link to your site so that you get the business if anybody feels moved to click through. giggle.gif

oh dear, i guess i ought to explain that the last post was tongue in cheek and i was trying to bring a bit of lightheartedness back into the thread.. i was just saying the argument has gone on long enough. And you're kinda missing my point still.

And no, thanks for your very kind offer.. but i'm perfectly capable of getting strapping machines to number 1 easily thanks (talents eh, aren't they amazing). Why isnt it there now? time and budget. I'm optimising around 20 terms for that site, and cant concentrate on one when they've not specifically requested it. A simple bit of onpage is all thats placed me at 2. But , as explained, the example wasnt about my site or or others below it, it was about the jepson site.

move on.. nothing to see here.

#55 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:03 AM

anyway why do you need a machine to put your strap on ninja.gifWhip.gif

#56 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:11 AM

Totally different subject Fashionman, and I've not specifically tested the sites.google.com stuff personally...

But I would be very surprised if Google gave those a special ranking advantage over other non-affiliated sites. If they did it would be running contrary to everything Google has ever done with their properties. Heck, even Google.com has never ranked #1 for the phrase search engine on Google, and I think most would say they've been the king of search for several years now.

#57 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:22 AM

You guys realize this thread is going to start ranking well for strapping machines, don't you? smile.gif

#58 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:12 PM

lol that crossed my mind a few posts back.. and brian jepson may make a visit or two out of it too.

#59 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:13 AM

You guys realize this thread is going to start ranking well for strapping machines, don't you?
And there lies the major problem with current search engine algo's . They just aint smart enough yet! giggle.gif

#60 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,012 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:58 PM

but does the presence of sites.google.com in the URL also contribute to a higher PR?

Of course not. Is Google linking to your page there? PR is in the links, not the domain itself. This seems to be what is lost on many.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!