• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is This White Or Black Hat

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:14 AM

This SEO agency I contacted said that they would help my ranking by seeking high quality links. These links would come from 'reputable' sites that cost 25 each - roughly $40 each.

This seems odd or is it not?

I thought that google frowns on paid-for-links and that is exactly what this agency is suggesting to do.

The thing is that these guys employ over 150 people and they seem to be very reputable etc.

Thoughts on this anyone?

#2 breaksireland

breaksireland

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

Hi Lister,

You should not have to pay for links.

If this is their only technique for building links I would be worried.

By ensuring your site has interesting, unique content you should have no problems getting links in.

#3 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:50 AM

Ask them to define "paid for" links. Yahoo was $299 last time I looked.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:22 AM

Are you paying the SEO company to get you the links, or paying the website owner to add your link? (Or both?)

Link building company's have been charging for links since forever.

And advertising on other people's websites isn't "black hat SEO." Google doesn't like it because they can't always figure out if it's an ad or if it's a vote. But that's their problem, not yours.

If the link brings you targeted traffic then it may certainly be worth a specific sum.

#5 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:24 PM

My point was basically that they seem to have deals with other websites that allow for them to place ads on their sites....

So, one of the guys working there contains a webmaster and asks them for a link for $20 a month - they say yes then they bill me $40. I dont see much of a problem there - but it just seems a bit of a gamble and why should they do it for me? Why cant I simply contact a webmaster and suggest that they either link to me b/c my content is simply amazing and their visitors would appreciate my site, or reciprocal, or I secretly offer payment....

Do they know something that I dont?

#6 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE(2Clean @ Jul 28 2009, 04:50 PM) View Post
Ask them to define "paid for" links. Yahoo was $299 last time I looked.

By the way that really worked for a friend of mine...his site took a massive surge in results.....worth thinking about but the thing is that I am torn between paying for that or using the money for well placed PPC....

Not sure.....

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:26 PM

Why cant I simply contact a webmaster and suggest that they either link to me b/c my content is simply amazing and their visitors would appreciate my site, or reciprocal, or I secretly offer payment....

You can, of course, do any service yourself if you want to spend the time.

It all depends on if you have more time than money or more money than time.

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:29 PM

You contacted them, you say. Did their offer match what you're looking for or did they simply distract you with a sales pitch?

If you feel you have identified a specific need, I think you should ignore any sales pitches that don't address that need.

If you're not sure what the need is, then I would question the value of any service that is pitched at you without a needs assessment.

#9 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:29 AM

This whole paid links thing is rather funny so let's try and understand some background.

Directories are paid links, or paid for review. But I've been submitting to them since I can remember and the idea that you're not given the ability to tweak your website description how you would like is false. Therefore I am paying for a link. Sure exceptions there will be, but if you're site is up to a reasonable standard you'll get included and you'll get your keywords (...you paid for).

Fundamentally what the search engines don't like, and this is what you need to bear in mind, is that paid for links can be nearly impossible to detect. Sure you've got paid link networks that can be easily detected (don't do these!) but in terms of the webmaster contacting someone else and saying "hey I'll give you 50 quid to puy my link on your website", there's no hope in hell that a search engine will know about it. Which makes a search engine algo weak, manipulatable and detracts people from spending on the PPC platforms. All is all bad for search engines.

So, what we have, are search engines "frowning" on paid links, and are you surprised? I'm not.

So let's look at risks. Clearly as a webmaster you need to ask yourself the question, "if I can buy a link for 50 quid, who else can", and what else might appear next to my website? You might be the only one on the page, but next week you could find yourself next to a competitor or something completely against what you stand for. That's something to bear in mind.

Because of this paid links phenomenon, the ranking factors which, for Google, have always been about links, links, link are changing. You are seeing much less direct weight being given to links and a much stronger tightening of the authority sources. My personal opinion is that with the degree of data coverage that Google has via analytics, gmail etc, links and domains are probably being evaluated on the actual traffic they send to another domain. Which means that you can have a PR6 website, but if that link isn't sending you any traffic, it's got much less value than it once had.

What's the key message here: Get links from sites that will send you traffic and you'll not need to pay for the links but sometimes you might. If your selling products you can simply divide profit made via the link and see if it's worth it. You can even track visitors from the domain to spit out the data more easily in your stats package.

There are few shortcuts in the search arena now, and hard work and dilligence is what is required. Typically I won't take a campaign for anything less than 6 months nowadays. Before you could pretty much nail any keyword inside 48 hours.

2Clean.

#10 michaelj72

michaelj72

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:21 AM

good points here 2Clean, thanks for that! what i have read leads me to agree that the authority of a site is now becoming much more important in determining the value of its links.
lister, you may want to go back to this seo company and ask aabout more details on what kind of links they are talking about and how they set that up and mention your concerns about the paid link angle...

#11 lister

lister

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(michaelj72 @ Aug 2 2009, 10:21 AM) View Post
lister, you may want to go back to this seo company and ask aabout more details on what kind of links they are talking about and how they set that up and mention your concerns about the paid link angle...

Yeah - I did - and I had a very friendly chat with the guy on the phone. I really had the impression that i knew as much as he did - in fact, there was really very very little that I thought he could do that I cant....so - i didnt bother going with the SEO firm.

In fact, i have been carefully selecting sites and have been successful in getting VALUE links - that SE and humans will appreciate.

Takes time I guess and I hope that it does pay off....

I figure you just have to keep at it and do a bit of everything as often as possible....

5% of time seeking new sites to try and get back links
5% of time writing fresh and great content
5% of time making sure that title tags in new pages are accurate
5% of time etc

- you get the picture.

Anyways thats my plan.....

i do seem to have growing visitors so I think my plan is working, and of course, with the time and effort I put in, why shouldnt it !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!