• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Client Hooked On How Many Keywords Per Month

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WesMcDermott

WesMcDermott

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

I'm currently working on a potential clients seo proposal and he's absolutely hooked on knowing how many keywords I'll be working on each month. I told him I'd be working on as many as the time and site allowed me too. And he shouldn't be concenred with how many keywords I'll be optimising his site for but the number of leads he's getting a month from my work. I also said it's like plucking numbers out of thin air. Is that right or wrong?

Have you had any experience with clients like this? What do you say to them?

Appreciate any answers.

Thanks in advance.

Wes

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,917 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:11 PM

I guess it depends on your business model.

We optimize pages, not keywords. And each page can be optimized for 3-5 or so keyword phrases. So if you were working on a number of pages per month, then you could be able to provide an approximate number of keyword phrases for that month as well.

#3 WesMcDermott

WesMcDermott

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 27 2009, 07:11 PM) View Post
I guess it depends on your business model.

We optimize pages, not keywords. And each page can be optimized for 3-5 or so keyword phrases. So if you were working on a number of pages per month, then you could be able to provide an approximate number of keyword phrases for that month as well.

Thanks Jill, well that is what I'd generally do to but I'd stick with 2-3 keyword phrases. It was bugging the hell out of me the fact he was hooked on the keywords per month thing. Do you give them a set number of pages to be created a month per their budget etc? If you do state how many keywords you'd be working on, do you take into consideration link building when stating how many keywords you'll be optimising for or is it just for the additional pages you create?

#4 SEOreports

SEOreports

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:04 PM

Wes,

Well that depends on what you are being contracted to do. Make sure everything you do is written down in a nice easy to understand contract. Protect Yourself and Set their expectations from the beginning.

"You will be paying me $X and I will perform Y". Define everything in detail; If you are optimizing web pages, state number of pages and what is involved. Establish a base and then report back on a regular basis. If they want to Rank for keywords, then do your research prior to getting a signed contract to make sure you can rank well for them. If you can't, then guide them towards other objectives they should target (ie Conversion) . If they only want to rank well for terms that you can't achieve rank for, then turn them down. Have them go some where else. As they are simply not worth the time.

I would treat link building as an additional service. Link Building is not going to get you far without an optimized site.

I have found that many clients either don't understand or they simply hear so many things from everyone else (their brother, a co-worker, etc.)

I always set up a plan for each client highlighting the important things then MUST tackle first. And what it is going to cost. I also list all the add-ons that are possible with cost structure.

Steve

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,917 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:37 PM

Yeah, it totally depends on what you contracted for.

Most of our sites are for on-page SEO, for a certain number of pages. We provide them with a time frame before hand on how long it will take to complete all the pages.

We occasionally do long-term huge sites, in which case yeah, we would typically let them know in advance that we'd either be spending X amount of hours a month or work on x amount of pages.

We wouldn't even touch link building stuff too much until after the on-page is in order. But we're not really a link building company. If we were doing social media stuff along with on-page stuff, we'd likely contract for a specific number of hours a month for each aspect.

#6 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:14 AM

I don't ever get into any haggling over keywords. If it's e-commerce I benchmark and then make a proposal based on that. If it's visitors I benchmark that and add 2-300%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!