• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Other Sites Like Stumbleupon

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rudy Sims

Rudy Sims

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:58 PM

Question: are there sites besides StumbleUpon that I can submit content to that would drive a similar amount of traffic to my site.

Background information
I created a social network for the discussion of disability issues by those who have an interest in the topic of disability. Interested people are welcome to join whether or not they have a disability. Since I have become active in the network a few months ago I've gained 300+ members and the site is becoming more and more active. I submit high-quality blog posts made by the members to stumble upon and have received a lot of traffic from it. My question as stated above is are there any other social networking sites that I can submit content to from my social network that would produce similar traffic. Using stumble upon is great but I don't like having all of my eggs in one basket so to speak.

Also does anybody know if there are any sites like StumbleUpon that are specifically targeted towards health and/or chronic illness.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks.

Sincerely
Rudy Sims

#2 nethy

nethy

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:22 AM

Hi Rudy,

As far as I know, Stumbleupon is unique. Digg & other bookmarking/social news sites often have a lot of overlap (something popular on one will be popular on another) with stumbleupon. They tend to be different in terms of traffic though, much more eratic.

BTW, when I want to find a tool or site similar to another one, I google "something vs." Doing so for stumbleupon returns virtually nothing.

#3 kynduvme

kynduvme

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE(nethy @ Jul 27 2009, 02:22 AM) View Post
Hi Rudy,

As far as I know, Stumbleupon is unique. Digg & other bookmarking/social news sites often have a lot of overlap (something popular on one will be popular on another) with stumbleupon. They tend to be different in terms of traffic though, much more eratic.

BTW, when I want to find a tool or site similar to another one, I google "something vs." Doing so for stumbleupon returns virtually nothing.

I recommend creating a standard DOT COM with a bulletin board and a blog as a permant home for your community. Use your social media network to generate members for your Dot Com, and then branch out to twitter and facebook.

#4 Nueromancer

Nueromancer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:01 AM

QUOTE(Rudy Sims @ Jul 26 2009, 09:58 PM) View Post
Question: are there sites besides StumbleUpon that I can submit content to that would drive a similar amount of traffic to my site.

Background information
I created a social network for the discussion of disability issues by those who have an interest in the topic of disability. Interested people are welcome to join whether or not they have a disability. Since I have become active in the network a few months ago I've gained 300+ members and the site is becoming more and more active. I submit high-quality blog posts made by the members to stumble upon and have received a lot of traffic from it. My question as stated above is are there any other social networking sites that I can submit content to from my social network that would produce similar traffic. Using stumble upon is great but I don't like having all of my eggs in one basket so to speak.

Also does anybody know if there are any sites like StumbleUpon that are specifically targeted towards health and/or chronic illness.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks.
Sincerely
Rudy Sims

Rudy you could try createing a facebook group we have done this for one of our cleints a small Donky Sanctury

#5 bwelford

bwelford

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 08:34 AM

Stumbleupon is by far the best social media-type traffic generator. The actual traffic will clearly depend on the social behavior for people in the niche you're working in. I find reddit is very good at generating traffic.

The other possibility is to have an associated Twitter account and start getting Retweets. Develop a group of networking friends and agree to mutually support these social media efforts. You will soon develop momentum this way.

#6 Rudy Sims

Rudy Sims

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

Hello everyone I just wanted to say thanks for the additional responses. I apologize for not responding sooner I have not visited this forum in a while. Best wishes for continued success to everybody. :-)

#7 Rudy Sims

Rudy Sims

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE(Nueromancer @ Aug 12 2009, 05:01 AM) View Post
Rudy you could try createing a facebook group we have done this for one of our cleints a small Donky Sanctury

Hello how are you? Thanks for the suggestion about a Facebook group. I actually have created both a Facebook group and a Facebook page for my disability related social network while they both are a great way to find potential members for my actual website social networking community. I don't get much traffic from either.

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

You do realize that you can also run advertising on the Facebook platform right? Those are those little things you see showing up in the right edge of the screen that almost nobody turns off apparently.

The Facebook ads work different than most other ads you'd ever see. They're more demographic based since Facebook already has a good bit of information about their users. And there are a couple of different advertising models you can choose from as well.

More info on the Facebook Advertising plans can be found here in case you're interested.

#9 Rudy Sims

Rudy Sims

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE(bwelford @ Aug 12 2009, 08:34 AM) View Post
Stumbleupon is by far the best social media-type traffic generator. The actual traffic will clearly depend on the social behavior for people in the niche you're working in. I find reddit is very good at generating traffic.

The other possibility is to have an associated Twitter account and start getting Retweets. Develop a group of networking friends and agree to mutually support these social media efforts. You will soon develop momentum this way.

Hello how are you? Thanks so much for the response and suggestions I've actually been pursuing your second suggestion for a while now. I am very active on twitter I have 14,000 + twitter updates 3000+ followers I post links to what I'm reading throughout the day on the topics of disability, health, blogging, search engine optimization, search engine marketing and technology. My goal in using social networking sites is to raise disability awareness not only by driving people to my social network but also by using the social networking profiles themselves right now primarily twitter and Facebook to show someone with a disability doesn't have to be all consumed by a chronic condition or disability. It's possible instead to have a variety of interests and passions. I tried to find useful and informative information that will help a wide variety of people. I invite people who I find on twitter that have some involvement in disability or health issues to join my social network through direct message. I only do this once if a given person decides to follow me. I find that this method prevents annoyance. I have acquired a large portion of our members from twitter.

I have a reddit account but I've never been very active over there I will try using it for a while and see what happens thanks for the suggestion

Best wishes to you
sincerely
Rudy Sims

#10 Rudy Sims

Rudy Sims

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Nov 2 2009, 06:15 PM) View Post
You do realize that you can also run advertising on the Facebook platform right? Those are those little things you see showing up in the right edge of the screen that almost nobody turns off apparently.

The Facebook ads work different than most other ads you'd ever see. They're more demographic based since Facebook already has a good bit of information about their users. And there are a couple of different advertising models you can choose from as well.

More info on the Facebook Advertising plans can be found here in case you're interested.

Hello Randy how are you today? As a matter of fact I just started running Facebook advertisements for my disability social network last month. I can only do it for a short period of time in a given month because I unfortunately don't have a whole lot to reinvest yet but I'm working on it. I am well aware of what Jill and the other administrators here say frequently about not relying on free traffic for a successful business or endeavor of any sort actually. Thanks for the suggestion I really appreciate it. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!