• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Using Open Source Websites

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 01:06 PM

I've been extremely impressed with Drupal, although I can say it was a bit of a learning curve to get it the way I wanted it. While it's a little more complex from the setup side of things (more options=more complexity) it has been extremely easy for staff to learn and use.

I've owned several Joomla/Mambo sites and would never go back to that platform- Drupal has many more options and IMO, once you learn it, is soooo much easier to customize.

#17 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:38 AM

Would be great to hear what you think are the positives and negatives of Joomla Vs Drupal, as I've always used the former.

#18 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:19 AM

Personally, I dislike Joomla/Mambo's interface. I think it's non-intuitive and hard to teach people where to look. Few people expect to have to scroll back to the top of the page to save their work.

J/M's file structure and programming is more complicated and strict behind the scenes- there are things I tried to do with J/M that never worked quite right that are built into Drupal.

I spent years resisting Drupal, so don't get me wrong. I'm not a zealot. It took me nearly a year to become comfortable with the behind-the-scenes workings of Drupal to feel comfortable with it.

But ultimately, it's more flexible, easier to skin and gives you lots more options for customization- nearly every module has some sort of PHP override where you can alter the code on the fly if you need to. I've been able to make crazy page-level customizations (by the requirement of my employer) or alter how the entire module works as needed.

The Taxonomy system lets you create almost any hierarchy, then alter it on a whim. Or use it differently for different departments. The Views module allows you to create custom pages, fully dynamic or - most useful to me- half static html pages with appended lists.

Everything that's been asked of me for my work site, Drupal has been able to do. Not always simple, but it's getting easier all the time.

#19 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for that feedback. I know that Drupal is a big contendor (although that name really does sound like something that happens to your performance if you drink too much) in the CMS world.

I also agree, Joomla is so developer and not non-user focussed. But at least you can send people in to edit pages on the front end.

Joomla is also a real hassle to code. but after 12 months I have my head around it. I'm currently doing some wordpress based sites for fun, and will then give drupal a lookin.

Thanks again.
2Clean.

#20 Nueromancer

Nueromancer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 26 2009, 02:10 PM) View Post
If you're paying that much, it seems surprising that they'd be using free backends. They don't have their own custom cms?

why not PHP/Perl is free but you still pay for people to develop in it thats the expensive bit in all devellopment same as weatehr you use a free language or one you have to pay for the Good fortan Compilers cost a fair bit.

Out of interest I Just had a second interview at one of the realy BIG add agncys for their main Digital shop and as part of my pitch to the interview board i sugested the use of Wp as a lightweight CMS for a microsite for one of the 10 largest comapnys in the world.

No one demured or asked questions - though for this partiular Job you might have had to go asp/.net for the security but you could do a hybrid and link back to a secure crypto back end via some encypted api.

oh Drupals a dog aviod like the plauge!

#21 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:11 PM

I don't blame you Neuromancer, I used to avoid it too.

It DID have a long learning curve. I can't sugarcoat that at all- you just have to do it for a while before it suddenly makes sense.

But I am glad I made the investment in time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.