• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How Crawler Reads The Page

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 sparrow

sparrow

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:42 AM

Hi all,

Quite a basic question:

I want to know how crawler decides, which phrase i am targeting by reading the content of the web page. It can take any phrase in the line right? Is it depends on the occurrence of the keywords etc

If you have any good resource on this please guide me to that.

Thank You,
Norma

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:30 AM

It is a number of factors, and no one knows the exact algorithm, that's the secret sauce or holy grail everyone wants.

obviously the title tag is the main source for onpage SEO, the title of a page is meant to be descriptive of its contents.

Then there is the copy text, but it has nothing to do with occurences otherwise know as 'keyword density', there is KWD Density going on of course, but it's not a measurable metric to use, the only time you need to worry about kwd density is if you use a keywrod or phrase too much, then it's considered keyword spamming and will have a detrimental affect on your site.

[url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url] is a good place to start, and even armed with the knowledge won't always help you...

Copy writing is an art, and no matter how much you understand the SE's, sometimes only professionaly written content by those with SE copy text skills will cut the mustard.

If only there was a fomular you could apply, i'd be using it in a shot, so try to write good content aimed at real visitors , use normal flowing english and you will usually find you've done all you need to do with the copy text.

If however you're like me and stuggle with standard punctuation, get a copywriter to help you out! or you could always go on a course and learn it if you're so inclined.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

They don't know what phrase you're targeting, nor do they care.

They just try to show the most relevant pages for the searcher's query. That's their job.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:59 AM

What Jill said. The more text you have on a page, the more queries for which it is relevant. Being relevant for a query does not guarantee a page a top ten listing for that query, but it does increase the search visibility of the page.

#5 sparrow

sparrow

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:05 AM

this is very informative but for sure you all have read this

www.miislita.com/fractals/keyword-density-optimization.html

#6 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:28 AM

What Jill said. The more text you have on a page, the more queries for which it is relevant.
does that imply keyword dilution happens?

Does having more words on a page by its nature dilute the relevancy of the words your trying to target, it can't simply give you more search terms.

Isn't the point of onpage SEO to 'optimise' for specific terms, not as many as you can fit on a page?

to optimise for a keyphrase means you are guiding the crawler to beleive the most relevant 'subject' the page is about is the keyphrase you are targeting isn't it.

Thus helping the crawler to 'know' what phrase your targeting.

Is this not the case?

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:06 AM

Does having more words on a page by its nature dilute the relevancy of the words your trying to target, it can't simply give you more search terms.

It gives you all those longtail keyword phrases that will rarely be searched upon, but which in aggregate bring traffic to your site.

#8 JamesJaks

JamesJaks

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:24 AM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Jul 24 2009, 06:28 AM) View Post
does that imply keyword dilution happens?

I am beginning to think that that is what happens.
I recently added some You Tube videos to my site and went down 4 pages from number 1 at Google.
What Jill says about compound keyword searches is one good way to raise the spidering sucess.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:17 AM

What Jill says about compound keyword searches is one good way to raise the spidering sucess.

Sorry, could you explain further? I'm not sure how compound keyword searches raise spidering success. Sounds like confusing gobbledy-gook to me, but I think I just need to be walked through it.

#10 Scottie

Scottie

Psycho Mom

• Admin
  • 6,294 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:47 PM

Google's Webmaster Tools give you a good idea of what Google thinks your page is about and makes a handy tool for tweaking.

Just to be clear... a crawler doesn't decide anything. It just grabs all the words from the page and sends them back to the mother ship. At that point, the data is sorted and scored and other factors like link popularity are taken into account to give the page whatever cumulative scores and keywords go into the ranking formula.

GWT will show you the words in links pointing to the page as well as words on the page itself. A very useful tool for learning what the big G sees when it looks at your page.

#11 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:49 AM

Just to be clear... a crawler doesn't decide anything.
True, but I was using the analogy of the crawler deciding, as being generic of the way G!'s algo works and it's ranking.

I know it's far more complicated than that, the spider gets the pages, stores them somewhere, where other program/process do things with the collected data, who knows how many processes / algo's, program applications are run against the data.

So maybe the question should be, how does G! know what the page is about rather than the crawler if you want to get pedantical semantical tongue.gif

A problem I find with alot of these page relevancy tools is they give list of single words and two words that don't go together, there is not logic or gramatical association to the way it shows you what words are on the page, do you really understand this cryptography? cause I don't.

#12 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:07 AM

The best way to answer this question is to advise on a methodology which you can then use as a basis for testing. The answer to the million dollar question is what makes a page rank well in the search engines. And the only way you will get that answer is to do some tests.

1. Take a page on your website you want to optimize for a specific keyword.
2. Write content.
3. Measure keyword density (keyword: "keyword density analyzer" in Google)
4. Wait for position of page.
5. Keep copy of page in archive and rewrite the page increasing or decreasing the density.
6. Wait at least 1 month for the new page to settle.
7. See the position.
8. Repeat the above until you get the best position.

Use keywords that are not overly competitive because most search engines use completely different ranking algo's for these keywords (where, for example search engines prefer PPC to be exploited). And even if you are dealing with the ranking of pages at the 400 or 500 mark in the index, the methodology will be scaleable.

You'll then arrive at a percentage for keywords.

That's how it's been done for years and when you have the answers you need to at least answer this question.

I use this methodology for every new client I have so I'm pretty sure of it's value.

2Clean.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:03 AM

3. Measure keyword density (keyword: "keyword density analyzer" in Google)

I'm confused. Why do you need to measure the keyword density?

#14 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:29 AM

Jill, you're not confused come off it.

#15 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members