• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seo In Domain Name - Need Help

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:09 AM

And you're implying that one reason is his domain name adibranch?

If so, I'll have to respectfully disagree.

of course you would ..we wouldnt want to break tradition would we.

Yes, the domain is the only reason he's there. Zero links on yahoo, one dmoz entry in google, the appalling splash page, the pure flash site (yes i know, google learning to read flash blah blah), no technical SEO. So whats your explanation? You know the URL, take a look.
Building a brand? how does that relate to links, authority and onsite SEO, which lets be honest is what places sites in serps, and what he has zero of.

Edited by adibranch, 25 July 2009 - 04:36 AM.

#17 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,959 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 10:08 AM

Yes, the domain is the only reason he's there. Zero links on yahoo, one dmoz entry in google, the appalling splash page, the pure flash site (yes i know, google learning to read flash blah blah), no technical SEO. So whats your explanation?

He's got the phrase in his meta keywords tag. Maybe it's that? lol.gif

I'm just saying...

In other words, you can't jump to any specific conclusion. That said, i wouldn't be surprised if it is the domain name in this case. I'm assuming it's not a hugely competitive phrase?

#18 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:22 AM

its a reasonably competitve term as strapping machines are something which nearly every industry uses in some way. Strapping machine and strapping machines reports 14,000 and 8,000 global respectively in adwords kw tool, which isnt a bad figure, yet strangely it only sends 20-30 people a month to my site from google, despite it being placed either 1,2 or 3 in the serps (i've got first once, i promptly lost it).

But i do agree that as a term gets more competitive, having it in the domain seems to become less and less a contributing factor.

#19 Michael-F

Michael-F

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(adibranch @ Jul 25 2009, 10:22 AM) View Post
its a reasonably competitve term as strapping machines are something which nearly every industry uses in some way. Strapping machine and strapping machines reports 14,000 and 8,000 global respectively in adwords kw tool, which isnt a bad figure, yet strangely it only sends 20-30 people a month to my site from google, despite it being placed either 1,2 or 3 in the serps (i've got first once, i promptly lost it).

But i do agree that as a term gets more competitive, having it in the domain seems to become less and less a contributing factor.
I'm assuming you are currently the #3 result on google.co.uk for strapping machines. If not, I'm probably not looking at your site at all. biggrin.gif

I see 0 outside links going to your Strapping Machines page. Your main page doesn't have "Strapping Machines" in the title or H1 - only the H2. Do any of the links going to your main page have "Strapping Machines" in the anchor text?

The site that's beating you at least has "Strapping Machines" in the title. That's probably why you're losing for that specific term.

It doesn't look like there's much SEO going on for that term at all - it's not really competitive.

#20 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

no michael, i'm not number 3.. at the time of writing i'm 2.

Your main page doesn't have "Strapping Machines" in the title or H1 - only the H2. Do any of the links going to your main page have "Strapping Machines" in the anchor text?

that would be because my main page isnt the landing page for strapping machines. The inclusion of strapping machines in the index is by way of request by the site owner. i wouldnt have it there if it was down to me. Ironically, the strapping machines page is the landing page for strapping machines.
However, by bringing this up were now going into the theory of home page being returned over landing page, where landing page does all the work... discussed in depth on another thread on this site.

#21 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,959 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:03 AM

Sorry to put a damper on this, but this is not the site review forum. If anyone wants to review anyone's site please do it through the proper channels or via PM.

Thanks.

#22 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:24 AM

I'm a bit confused over all this, one minute domain names matter the next they don't.

a domain name is part of a URL and G! indexes URL's so if any of the URL counts then surely all of it does or none of it does?

Hey ho, I don't worry about kwd rich domains or URL's anymore, seem to be more hasle than they're worth as there is such varying opinion over their SEO weight.

Adibranch ->
He's at number 1, i'm at number 2. His site is poor in terms of SEO, rank and incoming link text for that term, yet he's there, and there for one reason only.

Nope you've confused me, you say his site is poor in rank, yet moan he's no.1 over you.

He can't be no.1 and poor in rank surely? Not sure what you're trying to say there sorry dntknw.gif

#23 Michael-F

Michael-F

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Aug 2 2009, 10:03 AM) View Post
Sorry to put a damper on this, but this is not the site review forum. If anyone wants to review anyone's site please do it through the proper channels or via PM.

Thanks.

Sorry about that - the goal wasn't to review anybody's site. It's just easier to get your point across when you can point to an example site. I'll stop biggrin.gif

#24 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,959 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

I'm a bit confused over all this, one minute domain names matter the next they don't.

No, whether they matter or not doesn't change. It only changes depending on who you're talking to!

Keywords in domains do matter when they're the name of your site too. Cuz if you're all over the site say we are...whatever....it has an effect.

My new site: My Kindle Reviews is at mykindlereviews.com so it has "kindle reviews" in the domain name. Plus it's the over all name of the site so it has Kindle Reviews all over the site.

It does seem to help.

#25 madams

madams

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

How do you know the SE wont pick it up as...

my kind lere views.com

That puts a new slant on it whistling.gif

We will see if come out tops for that phrase biggrin.gif

#26 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:05 AM

No, whether they matter or not doesn't change. It only changes depending on who you're talking to!
touche! , remind me again Jill what side of the fence are you?

lol madams, were back to buying pens again aren't we!

have you been to..

therapistfinder.com

whorepresents.com

northerngasheating.com

hysterical.gif

#27 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,959 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:53 AM

my kind lere views

Interestingly enough, it doesn't. I've been impressed with how Google separates words. But like I said, it's also all over the page as the actual words. It may have nothing at all to do with the domain name. Which is what I always used to believe.

remind me again Jill what side of the fence are you?

I don't even know anymore myself!

#28 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:37 AM

Get keywords in domain because if you hadn't noticed bing loves them and over the next 2 years their market share will go up to at least 30%. or have all your eggs in one basket.

#29 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:43 AM

Get keywords in domain because if you hadn't noticed bing loves them and over the next 2 years their market share will go up to at least 30%.

Who told you that, isn't that what they said about Live when they released it...

Plus remember, there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

If it's 30% increase well if they only had 1% of the market and they gaind 30% that will mean they will have 1.3% whoopee doo da! - lol

Hey if you can get your domain name with your keywords in it and it makes sense to (take a note of other undesirable ways of reading it first - see above wink1.gif ), hey no-one is saying don't buy the domain, but don't pin your hopes and dreams and mess with your current website or corporate identity thinking it's going to perform miracles, because it won't.

#30 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:07 AM

Read the press, do the maths. It's pretty straightforward. The Disraeli quote is also very appropriate to SEM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!