• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

9th In Yahoo, 409th In Google...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jasonw

jasonw

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:06 PM

I started a satallite site from my main site to target a certain keyword... "All Inclusive Deals", the site being mywebsite.com

The keyphrase, according to the Google keyword tool, has about 70-80k local monthly searches, so it would be great if I could get ranked for it. It did on Yahoo, bang, straight into the first page. However, it's only 409th on Google. Basically, I wouldn't care if it was the other way round as I'm sure my traffic figures would multiply by 7-8 factors.

I've also just bought... mywebsite.com, where "last minute travel deals" has about 60-70k monthly searches. mywebsite.com has paid back and sits there as a mini cash cow and nice advert, so it seemed sensible to repeat the process, however, I don't want to delve into the implementation if there's something I'm doing blatently wrong and not realising.

Question is, why does Google hate me? Is there something obvious I've done wrong? Check everything! I know I might not be able to get first or even second page with a new site, but surely with an exact match in the title, url, description and body plus PR2 I should be doing a little better than page 40, right?!?

Edited by Randy, 21 July 2009 - 08:53 PM.

#2 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:42 PM

Question is, why does Google hate me? Is there something obvious I've done wrong? Check everything! I know I might not be able to get first or even second page with a new site, but surely with an exact match in the title, url, description and body plus PR2 I should be doing a little better than page 40, right?!?
SEs don't pick your site and keep you down in their rankings just because. They don't owe you anything, nor do they know you. You have to earn rankings in the SERPs like everyone else. Do the right things and eventually over time you'll see positive results.

See the [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url] for more advice.

#3 jasonw

jasonw

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:51 PM

You have to earn rankings in the SERPs like everyone else. Do the right things and eventually over time you'll see positive results.

Done that... first page on Yahoo!

I'm guessing Google may be penalising me for something. Any ideas? A link to post on that would be helpful.

#4 smc_online

smc_online

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:09 PM

Welcome, Jason.

Google doesn't hate you. Their algo is different than Yahoo, hence the different results.

Besides, I looked at your site and as a seasoned traveler (like many on this forum), I question the purpose of your site.

Are you doing other things apart from buying your domains? What about the function of your site? Does it meet your users' needs? Are you making sure that your site is user friendly and offers quality content? Do you offer a simple and secure booking experience? Will your site visitors be able to find the necessary information they need to make educated travel purchases on your web site?

It's important to understand that its not just about your domain name. Trust is key.

#5 jasonw

jasonw

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:11 PM

Ironically, making money on the web largely comes down to making people leave your site...

The function of this site is to attract customers that the main site couldn't by drawing in people wanting an "all inclusive deal" then directing them onto Bookit Holidays -where the secure, simple, content rich booking engine lives. Hopefully, not too painfully and not damaging trust in the process.

Well, if in two months it suddenly shoots up the ranking to about 32nd or whatever from 409th and I read some article about Google putting newly registered domains 'on probation' I'll come back and educate you.

I might make "Google hates me" my sig...

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:04 PM

Ironically, making money on the web largely comes down to making people leave your site...

umm.... only if you're a affiliate marketer or Adsense publisher. The real money though is still in developing your own product or service, something totally unique that people actually need. Makes the sales process much easier too. wink1.gif

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,917 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:19 AM

Question is, why does Google hate me? Is there something obvious I've done wrong?

I'm guessing it's because you don't actually have a "real" site, just something you created with 1 keyword phrase in mind.

That trick hasn't worked with Google for many years, which is why they are a much better search engine than bing and yahoo.

#8 mal4mac

mal4mac

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jul 21 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post
umm.... only if you're a affiliate marketer or Adsense publisher. The real money though is still in developing your own product or service, something totally unique that people actually need. Makes the sales process much easier too. wink1.gif

What could be easier than putting AdsSnse on your site? Have you read "The Internetís Biggest Google Whores", Randy? Aren't those boys making real money?

If you provide useful information in your own words, give it away for free, and put AdSense on your site, you are providing something totally unique that (hopefully) people actually need, or at least find interesting.

#9 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:05 PM

Catch 22 Mal4Mac.

If your info site is too darned good and supplies great quality information, people are less likely to click away to some Adsense site your page ends up linking to. Thus hurting your income.

On the other hand, if you offer really reasonably crappy information, but rank well for phrases people are searching for, you get more clicks going out because you didn't actually answer the questions visitors had when they came to your site, so you make more Adsense money.

It's an interesting conflict isn't it?

I know people who make decent money at publishing information with the Adsense business model. I don't begrudge them that. I know people who make money being affiliates for others. I don't begrudge them their earnings either.

But for me I rather like the creative process of coming up with something new that people actually need. And I certainly like have a lot more control over my future earnings, where nobody else sets the income I earn for each conversion nor can someone else pull their offer overnight and put me out of business.

All are valid ways to make a living. I've done 'em all to one degree or another. I like having more control.

#10 jasonw

jasonw

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:54 PM

I'm guessing it's because you don't actually have a "real" site, just something you created with 1 keyword phrase in mind.

You're probably completely right. I have a first page entry on Google for "all inclusive deals Ibiza", which is why I was slightly perplexed by "all inclusive deals" doing so badly. Maybe the prominent keyphrase is being penalised for being too prominent.

That said, if people want an all inclusive deal then they can go to the site, pick one, ring the number, book and their e-ticket will be in their mailbox within 15mins. I am providing a real honest service here. Hmm... frustrating.

The keyword list was generated for the first time today in webmaster tools...
1. star
2. nights
3. manchester
4. inclusive
5. deals

The content aside from titles is a daily updated feed of offers going by the format

<HOTEL> (<RATING> star) - From <AIRPORT> for <NIGHTS> nights

I never bothered putting in the boardbasis as obviously they are all "all inclusive"... I've tried adding that to see if that makes a positive difference.

#11 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:28 AM

to me the site looks spammy and utterly devoid of info.. Why would google place this site highly? Theres very little in there to make the site stand out for the terms.
Also, its just a list of external links, one after another after another. Heres some things with stand out to me in 30 seconds of looking...

• Most of your images used on the site are being leeched from your bookit site
  • You're relying on title tag alone to do the work.
  • your hundreds of destination links dont mention anything about 'all inclusive deals'
  • Trip advisor will receive 95% of your traffic, not your bookit site.
  • The site looks bland, nothing to appeal to visitor or search engine.
  • your intro text is poached from other sites.
  • You've no heading tags
  • You've no alts or titles on the linking images.
  • Your site is a one click wonder.. its all over after that.. theres no retention. Click in, click out, google can see this too you know.
just being honest here.. the other thing that springs to mind is that with bookit you've got a nice decent site. I'm sure you've got good rep and a good user base, why try and associate your business and site reputation and business with this additional very poor and utterly pointless site? If i'd found your site via your new all inclusive site, i just wouldnt take it seriously, i'd think you were a spammer, and adsense junkie, or misleading me as a user. I certaily wouldnt take you seriously as a travel agent. It doesnt make sense...
And yes, i'm being harsh, but I'm not suprised google doesnt like you. You're trying to deliberatly mislead search engines and users, and it can spot this a mile off.
Yahoo, well he's easy to fool.. the guys an idiot.

Edited by adibranch, 23 July 2009 - 08:46 AM.

#12 jasonw

jasonw

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:16 PM

Right, some positive negative comments there... so, action item list...

1. Host all the images on AID's server
2. Add 'all inclusive deals' to the destination links
3. Remove the trip advisor links
4. Write script to dig out the hotel description/pics from Bookit when a feed is generated, put in db, display on hotel-description.php?name=whatever where user can add review
5. Reword the text (It's from our suppliers so we aren't infringing copyright by using it but it is probably all over the net anyway)

Also, I've been reading about the 'Google Sandbox'. The behavior is very similar to what's going to here. The comments I read were like... if you're 1st page on yahoo (yes) and you are 1st page on Google for longer keyphrases (yes) but ranking poorly for a competitive keyphrase (yes) and you've registered the domain in the last 3 months (yes) then you're probably in the sandbox...

#13 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 06:16 AM

2. Add 'all inclusive deals' to the destination links
Theres a trade off here, adding that many terms may appear too spammy for one page. To get round it i'd just link to top categories within each page, not listing subs until you get to the next page on.

3. Remove the trip advisor links
Yes, for sure. Even better, create your own content and link to that, or place short snippets of info underneath the links.

5. Reword the text (It's from our suppliers so we aren't infringing copyright by using it but it is probably all over the net anyway)
Its not copyright that the problem... its just that the text is the only part of your site that isnt links, so you wont want it the same as other sites with more authoriry or that were there first, as your pages would then be filtered or placed lower down.

Also, I've been reading about the 'Google Sandbox'. The behavior is very similar to what's going to here. The comments I read were like... if you're 1st page on yahoo (yes) and you are 1st page on Google for longer keyphrases (yes) but ranking poorly for a competitive keyphrase (yes) and you've registered the domain in the last 3 months (yes) then you're probably in the sandbox...

You may be, sandbox is generally down to pages which are too similar within a site.. alter your content as above and you'll prob get round it.

#14 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:52 AM

Don't go using the keyword tools, they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yesterday's game. You'll have more joy sitting down with a blank piece of paper and brainstorming keywords, and then asking friends. All these tools tell you are what you could have guessed (clearly if you're just starting out they will have a great importance).

These tools do have value as a budget estimation tool and estimation of traffic volume for PPC but most of the time, the listings under which the top keywords appear are in constant flux. I've watch sites go up and down like a yo-yo in Google organics in certain sectors from 1st page to 3rd page depending on the day of the week.

I also don't believe this thing about spammy sites don't get indexed. Actually they do and they can go right up there at the top. If there was a solid quality criteria then many really big sites would be out.

2Clean.

#15 jasonw

jasonw

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 03:58 PM

Okay, thanks for your help. I've now gone to 2nd from 9th for 'all inclusive deals' in Yahoo! Which is great and I'm getting much more traffic from them now. Just lastminute.com to topple and I'll be numero uno! Shame Microsoft just did that deal and are replacing the search with Bing which I'm not even indexed in...

However, the site I registered for last minute travel deals... I just copied over all inclusive deals cos I wanted to use the same template and left it there for a bit (was busy). Now Google has removed all inclusive deals from all SERPs (apart from for the domain name) and the new site comes up but much lower down. Duplicate content penalty no doubt... ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH, BACK TO F-ING SQUARE ONE! sad.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!