• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Web Page Title Consolidated

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lakshmi Narsimhan

Lakshmi Narsimhan

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:53 AM

Hi. Did anyone come across the case, like this one where you will not be able to see the actual Title available between the Title Tags of a website on Google Search, rather, it appears to be the domain name of a website / web page? crossfingers.gif

More info about the site: Its a Competitive, Authoritative and having came across Duplicate Filters many times, which is now solved.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:03 AM

Sounds like it's probably the ODP/DMOZ Title, in which case, the NOODP robots attribute should do the trick.

#3 Lakshmi Narsimhan

Lakshmi Narsimhan

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 20 2009, 08:03 AM) View Post
Sounds like it's probably the ODP/DMOZ Title, in which case, the NOODP robots attribute should do the trick.

Thanks for the response Jill. FYIP, the site is not listed on ODP. So, we can only theorize that Google is tightening up its algorithms to filter out Titles that are suspicious of keyword stuffing.

Or, is there any other (ODP sought of) site from where Google fetches the results?

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:54 AM

Google has been known to use both the ODP and Yahoo Directory information. I've never heard of them using anything else for titles.

Two thoughts...

First if you searched for your domain with the search thingee at DMOZ/ODP it's never been very good. Which should tell you something that the site search appliance I built over the course of a few days is much better and more robust than theirs has ever been and they've not only been at it longer but have a much larger need to have a decent site search facility. lol.gif

You might try searching in Google instead for the title they're showing. You can sometimes even do it as an exact match type of search to see the dmoz page on which your site appears. Or do it as a site:dmoz.org keyword phrase type of search. It's not going to surprise me if you find the site does in fact have a DMOZ listing, just that you couldn't find it because the dmoz search thingee sucks so very badly.

Second thing... View the source code of the page. Look for two <title> tag entries. Hey, it's happened before!

#5 Lakshmi Narsimhan

Lakshmi Narsimhan

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jul 21 2009, 06:54 AM) View Post
You can sometimes even do it as an exact match type of search to see the dmoz page on which your site appears. Or do it as a site:dmoz.org keyword phrase type of search. It's not going to surprise me if you find the site does in fact have a DMOZ listing, just that you couldn't find it because the dmoz search thingee sucks so very badly.

Second thing... View the source code of the page. Look for two <title> tag entries. Hey, it's happened before!

You are right Randy. Searching on DMOZ really sucks. However, I am 100% sure that the site is neither listed on the ODP nor Yahoo Dir. However, the Exact Match search gives the Titles of the site itself and there are considerable amount of web pages that contain such a title.

#6 Lakshmi Narsimhan

Lakshmi Narsimhan

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:54 AM

Google's John Mueller comments on this Topic saying:

Source: Google Forum
There are certain situations where we'd replace a title in search results (as is happening here), for example if we find that the same title is used on a number of pages or if the title is otherwise not that good (eg "Home"). It looks like in this case we chose a weird title -- I've passed it on to the team so that they can take a look and adjust things if possible.

So, shall we update ourselves with this as a new GOOGLE FILTER?

#7 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:48 AM

I wouldn't call it a filter. More an improvement for questionable and lazy webmastering. wink1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.