• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Best Wordpress Seo Plugin

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SteelersFan

SteelersFan

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

I think I saw something about this before and now I can't find it despite doing a search. Can you guys tell me which SEO plug-in you would recommend for a Wordpress blog?

Thank you. :-)

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:13 PM

There's one I've used call "SEO Title tag."

And I'm currently testing out the "Thesis Theme" which is supposedly search friendly out of the box. (It's a paid theme.)

#3 SteelersFan

SteelersFan

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

Ok, thanks. I'll check them out. :-)

#4 CDNSHOPGUY

CDNSHOPGUY

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE(SteelersFan @ Jul 19 2009, 01:58 PM) View Post
Ok, thanks. I'll check them out. :-)

Platinum SEO plugin works pretty good too.

#5 Jacksamuel

Jacksamuel

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:45 AM

hi..

What is SEO plugin ?

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:11 PM

What is SEO plugin ?

It's just a code tweak for blog software, content management system software and the like.

In the case of an SEO plugin, the basic issue is that more often than not code jockey's don't necessarily understand the things that are important to have in place for SEO purposes. Stuff like each page having a unique URL address that is accessible by the search engine spiders, giving the blog/cms admin the ability to edit the page <title> content, etc.

So in essence an SEO plugin would in theory bring some additional benefit on the SEO front that's not there natively in the stock blog or cms system.

#7 cloud420

cloud420

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:30 PM

SEO All in One is popular as well but I have yet to use it

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:26 PM

There is really no need for "SEO" plugins with Wordpress any more. However, if you do install one, make sure you disable all its nonsense settings (like using "noindex" on category pages).

I really don't like these plug-ins. They screw up your site as far as I am concerned.

#9 Freezer

Freezer

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Sep 1 2009, 09:26 PM) View Post
There is really no need for "SEO" plugins with Wordpress any more. However, if you do install one, make sure you disable all its nonsense settings (like using "noindex" on category pages).

I really don't like these plug-ins. They screw up your site as far as I am concerned.

How do you calculate this?
If you use Wordpress as a publishing platform, it could be rather important to be able to concentrate specific keywords for each article, am I wrong here? As far as I know the standard wordpress themes just provide overall meta tags and keywords, that shows the same on each and every page and post, unless you add a specific plugin for this.

In what way do you believe they "screw it up" ?

#10 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:54 PM

Wordpress out of the box now does most of the stuff for you that the typical SEO plugins were created to do 2-3 years ago. Themes have nothing to do with it.

Google employee Matt Cutts has been very influential in helping Wordpress developers learn how to implement basic on-page SEO.

ON EDIT: The SEO plug-ins I've had to deal with implement bad techniques and advice (such as using "noindex" on category and tag pages). They just don't provide any real value.

#11 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

I have the All In One SEO Pack installed, and it does offer the option of putting noindex on tag and category pages. I agree with Michael that it doesn't make sense to enable that option. Assuming you're assigning tags and categories properly, those pages are likely to be more relevant to the names of those tags and categories than the home page or a single post. I don't see why you'd want to block that. However, it does make sense to me to put noindex on monthly archive pages (and note that it sets the robots meta tag to "noindex,follow"), so I do have that setting enabled.

The plugin's settings page also has a checkbox for "Canonical URLs". If you click the text, the following appears as an explanation of the function:
This option will automatically generate Canonical URLS for your entire WordPress installation. This will help to prevent duplicate content penalties by Google.

This makes no sense to me at all. There are no options other than yes or no for this function, so it either sets every page in the blog as canonical, or none at all. A given post can appear on the blog's home page, on its own page, on tag, category and monthly archive pages, and on search result pages. Tick that checkbox, and every one of those pages is going to announce itself to search engines as the one and only canonical version. That's no help at all. Setting every page as canonical accomplishes the same thing as setting no pages as canonical. The only difference is that it adds an extra line of code to each page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.