• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Replaced My Web Listing With A Directory Listing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tinabug

Tinabug

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:56 AM

After performing SEO on a client's webiste, the site went to #2 in Google's SERPs for a specific keyword phrase. Next step..link building. I entered the site in a business directory. I used the keyword phrase as the name of the company as I wanted this to be the anchor text, and added the site's meta description as the company description for the directory. The very next day, Google replaced my website with a link to this directory listing for my keyword phrase! In effect, my client's website was still ranked #2, but now it was thu this directory, Hot Frog, and not a direct link to the site!! A direct link to my clients site is no where to be found in Google's SERPs for this keyword phrase.

What happened? Was this some weird duplicate content thing? I've deleted the directory listing in the hopes Google will return with a link to the website and not the directory listing.

Any thoughts on this greatly appreaciated!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:54 AM

In effect, my client's website was still ranked #2, but now it was thu this directory, Hot Frog, and not a direct link to the site!!

Well I certainly wouldn't call that your client's site as being ranked at number 2, it's just the directory page that is. Since your site is new, the directory probably has more authority, and it may be using the same or a similar description to what you already have on your client's site, so it's ranking.

New sites often will show up in the search results, but then disappear for awhile. I'd say to keep building links and try to give it some more time. You might want to make sure what you submit to directories is not the same exact words that are on your page, as well.

#3 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:33 AM

yeah you probably made a mistake on viewing the entry.. it an easy mistake to make to see a directory entry and with a quick scan see it as your site entry. Hotfrog is one of the easier ones to do this with, as it mimics your site listing very well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!