• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Deciding How Competitive You Can Go

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 ConfusedNewbie

ConfusedNewbie

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:06 AM

I'd thoroughly agree with the expanding of candidate keywords thing, we only used to deal in maker and model of object on our site, which was crazy as it deals in parts of an object. Now we have 50 pages underneath the maker and model level on our site, which relate to our 50 most requested parts of the object, we're doubling our traffic through natural listings and getting more conversions (20 or 30% more, so there is work still to be done...) as a result.

#17 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:15 AM

To revisit this one again...

How competitive you can or should go depends a good deal on the experience level and skill of the optimizer. It's obvious to say, but too often forgotten. Simply put, what works for someone who has been doing this stuff for years isn't necessarily the same thing someone brand new to SEO should be focusing on.

Someone who is just starting out is going to get a lot more positive movement from longer tail, less competitive phrases that still convert lookers into buyers. Those just starting out will likely become distressed if they target only competitive phrases because they just don't yet have the necessary skills and knowledge to achieve a top 10 ranking for those more competitive phrases with a brand new site.

By the same token those who have been doing this stuff for awhile can open things up a bit more and target some of those more competitive phrases and achieve a decent ranking that draws converting traffic. That's not to say they shouldn't still target the longer tail phrases, just that they won't become upset at seeing no movement on the more competitive phrases because they have a lot more knowledge to lean on.

For myself I don't totally disregard the more competitive phrases. I still target them. But I also target the less competitive phrases, partly because they're easier to rank with quickly and partly because I know from experience they convert very well. But whenever I've counselled someone new to SEO I always advise they start with the less competitive phrases so they get some returns early on. Leaving those more competitive phrases for somewhere down the road when they have more experience and their web site is better established.

#18 SERPico

SERPico

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:41 AM

The optimization is the fairly easy part, it's the link factor that is the decisive element for ranking success when going for the more competitive keywords. smile.gif

#19 2Clean

2Clean

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:20 AM

Throw in the anchor text used in backlinks of top ranking websites as a reinforcer of importance of a specific keyword. mellow.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!