• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Which Keyword To Optimise

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sparrow

sparrow

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:22 PM

Hi All,

This is my first post here.

I have a query on keyword research. I am working on a website related to wines. In the website there is a web page which talks about "red wines". The page has list of all red wines and buying option. The page doesn't give information about red wines it is just list of red wines to buy.

Now "red wine" & "red wines" have higher competition so i omitted those keywords from my keyword list. From the list i have got "types of red wines" and "buy red wine" keywords have less competition and moderate search volume over the month.

Now can i optimize my page for "types of red wine". It has search volume more than "buy red wine" but my page is not talking about "types of red wine" but only about red wine selling. The top results in Google for "types of red wine" are only talk about types but not about the sale. So if i optimize my page for "types of red wine" do I have a chance of ranking for that keyword without talking about it?

Thank you all.
Quite a long query.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:55 AM

Welcome sparrow ! hi.gif

You can optimize any page for any phrase. Of course this usually means altering the content of page as it currently stands. And if the phrase you want doesn't mesh well with another phrase for which you've already got a page ranking, simply create another page that targets the 2nd phrase.

#3 mal4mac

mal4mac

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:01 AM

Why not have a page for 'types of red wine'? Why give up on 'red wines'?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:28 AM

So if i optimize my page for "types of red wine" do I have a chance of ranking for that keyword without talking about it?

How can you optimize a page for a phrase if the page isn't about that?

It simply doesn't make any sense. It's one of the biggest mistakes people make when learning SEO. Use common sense and your judgment and just think about it for a minute.

If the page is about the types of red wines, then it should show up for that phrase. If it's not, it shouldn't. So either make that page be about the types, or make another page be about the types.

#5 sparrow

sparrow

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:31 AM

Thanks Randy. Better i optimize for "buy red wine" as the current web page speaks about it. i can do it without changing the content.
I have left "red wines" out of this list because it has competition around 1,580,000. I usually take keywords with comp less than a million. Above million might take longer time t optimize.

If I optimize my web page for "buy red wines" and after few months if it starts ranking, won't my web page eventually start ranking for "red wines" keyword? (considering i start link building with both the keywords in anchor, which is difficult but still) do i need to have separate web page for red wines.

Thank you.

#6 sparrow

sparrow

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 16 2009, 06:58 PM) View Post
How can you optimize a page for a phrase if the page isn't about that?

It simply doesn't make any sense. It's one of the biggest mistakes people make when learning SEO. Use common sense and your judgment and just think about it for a minute.

If the page is about the types of red wines, then it should show up for that phrase. If it's not, it shouldn't. So either make that page be about the types, or make another page be about the types.

Agree with you Jill. It doesn't make any sense. But still i had the thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!