• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Twitter Tips

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 smc_online

smc_online

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

In case you are a twit like me tongue.gif, a webmaster forum member (pageoneresults) provides tips for using Twitter for SEO.

#2 wonder371

wonder371

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE(smc_online @ Jul 14 2009, 01:18 PM) View Post
In case you are a twit like me tongue.gif, a webmaster forum member (pageoneresults) provides tips for using Twitter for SEO.

are links from twitter post/updates do-follow?

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

No. They are nofollow currently and I would imagine will continue to be.

The crazy part? It took you longer to ask and longer for me to type the above sentence than it did for me to pull up some stranger's twitter page and check. lol.gif

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:18 AM

They are nofollow, but they still seem to help Google find and index sites just from my experience with my new site.

#5 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Sep 28 2009, 08:18 AM) View Post
They are nofollow, but they still seem to help Google find and index sites just from my experience with my new site.

Can we have more explanation about this?
I have a strong Twitter account, with more than 18k followers .. I don't use it too much (perhaps two to three tweets a week) .. It brings direct traffic, but I never thought that there are SEO benefits ..

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:22 AM

Can we have more explanation about this?

I haven't looked into it all that closely. All I know is I had a new site, mentioned it a couple of times in Twitter (with shortened links no less) and it had no other links, but got quickly indexed in Google. It even ranked fairly quickly for some targeted phrases.

#7 Hic

Hic

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 25 2009, 08:22 AM) View Post
I haven't looked into it all that closely. All I know is I had a new site, mentioned it a couple of times in Twitter (with shortened links no less) and it had no other links, but got quickly indexed in Google. It even ranked fairly quickly for some targeted phrases.

Isn't it a proof that Google follows nofollow links ? Or at least consider them ?

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

They way I've heard Google employees describe it is that nofollow doesn't necessarily mean they won't follow to the new url location. Just that they say the nofollow will halt any link value from passing.

I think that question is probably still open to debate.

#9 blackirish.ken

blackirish.ken

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:54 PM

My twitter streams get scraped from time to time and end up on sites that don't tag links with "nofollow."

So there are SEO benefits to Twitter links, albeit indirect.

I'd also highly recommend coming up with your own URL shortener hosted on your own server, rather than using bitly or owly. Not so much for branding purposes (although that's one reason), but more to retain as much link equity as possible through the redirect. Also, it prevents all your shortened links from going bye bye in the event your URL shortener of choice closes up shop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!