• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Redirects And Title/meta Tags...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FreeBaGeL

FreeBaGeL

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:42 PM

I have a retail website. The domain for that website is the name of my company. In an attempt to increase online traffic to my site, I bought out the domain name of a common search phrase with the idea that I would just redirect any clicks there to my main site.

So, when making the page that I'm redirecting away from, do I put new header, title, meta, etc tags on that page or just put the redirect code on that page (the page it's redirecting to has title, meta, etc tags that would be the same) and let the page it ends up on handle all those tags? Which is better for the search engines, and will I have any negative effect for redirecting compared to if I just had my content right there on that page that uses the domain with the common search phrase?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:16 AM

I'm going to assume that you're asking about a 301 style redirect and not some sort of meta redirect or javascript redirect. The JS redirect stands basically zero chance of helping with the search engines and a meta redirect is questionable, so I will assume we're talking about 301's.

If so, there should be no <title>, meta tags or anything else in the 1st page. In fact, if there is anything like that prior to the 301 it's going to cause a Headers already sent error.

As to the idea of buying a product name domain, I just hope you don't expect it to really help much with the search engines for those product type queries. Because having it isn't going to offer much to the real site. You might get some type in traffic from it and it's not a bad strategy to protect your brand and keep others from using it, but it's just not going to help with the search engines much since presumably there are no links or anything else pointing to that brand new branded domain.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:17 AM

If the domain name you bought used to belong to another site, I've seen this strategy suggested in a number of places recently. The idea is that you're taking advantage of the age/authority of the older site and getting at least some of the credit for links pointing to it. Personally, I've never tried it, and it feels a bit dishonest to me. It also seems like the sort of thing search engines can pretty easily figure out and neutralize.

If it's a new domain name, I don't see how it could possibly help, unless you put in the effort to make that site popular before you redirect it.

#4 FreeBaGeL

FreeBaGeL

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 10 2009, 10:17 AM) View Post
If it's a new domain name, I don't see how it could possibly help, unless you put in the effort to make that site popular before you redirect it.

The idea would be that I'm getting a bonus for having the exact keywords in the domain name.

If I'm running a site that is www.buyclockwidgets.com then I get a big headstart towards my seo optimization when someone searches the exact phrase "buy clock widgets". Obviously there is a lot more to it than that, but having the exact phrase right there in my domain name helps.

The question is, if all my www.buyclockwidgets.com site does is redirect to a site www.funstuff.com/clockwidgets do I still get as much of a boost for the search string "buy clock widgets" as if the clock widgets were right there on buyclockwidgets.com, rather than the user being redirected?

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:24 PM

The question is, if all my www.buyclockwidgets.com site does is redirect to a site www.funstuff.com/clockwidgets do I still get as much of a boost for the search string "buy clock widgets" as if the clock widgets were right there on buyclockwidgets.com, rather than the user being redirected?

No, because with a redirect, there's no actual site there that the search engine sees.

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:54 PM

Not to mention that the original premise is simply wrong. There are several problems with the idea that www.buyclockwidgets.com in and of itself helps a site rank for the phrase buy clock widgets. It's been discussed about 40 million other times in 40 million other threads here, so you may want to do a search for those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.