• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

301 For Filename Change

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 seo_bright

seo_bright

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:18 AM

I have decided to do 301 redirects for a few pages since I wanted to change the filenames to more meaningful ones. Since I have already done a lot of submissions in other websites, I want to redirect the old file name to the new renamed one.
I have FTP access and I created the .htaccess as was suggested in the pinned thread here. But I dont have any idea about the type of server where it is hosted? How can I find out. Should I need to consult with the hosting company for this?
I uploaded the .htaccess file and renamed the online file to new name. After that I tried accessing the old file but it throws a 404 error.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:01 AM

You'll probably need to check with your server people to make sure you can use an .htaccess file.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:32 AM

Asking your hosting folks is usually the quickest and surest way to find out. They can tell you not only if it's Unix/Linux or Microsoft/IIS, but if it's *nix they'll be able to tell you what methods you can use in your .htaccess.

FTR, if you want to quick check you can also run your domain though something like my little header checker tool. When you plug in one of your pages your server should return a line that gives some very basic information about the server. For example, for my RedHat Linux systems with Apache 2 installed the line will say something like Server: Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat). There are several flavors of Linux out there, so it might well say something other than RedHat and still be Linux. The same line on an IIS server should return something like Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.0.

If it's IIS you don't have use of .htaccess. If it's Linux you probably do have at least some ability to use it.

#4 seo_bright

seo_bright

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:06 AM

I have contacted the server people and told them the issue and that they have to do 310 redirects on 3 file names. Recently they contacted me and informed that they had completed the redirects. I checked it online. When I type the old file name it redirecting to the new file.
However the old file also still exists in the server.

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:29 AM

It doesn't matter if the old file still exists on the server or not. Just whether a redirect is in place. Specifically a 301 redirect. That's the thing to check, the status code of the redirect.

#6 seo_bright

seo_bright

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:05 AM

Thanks Randy It was 301 redirect. I checked the coding in the old filename. It has as
<META HTTP-EQUIV="REFRESH" CONTENT="0;URL=xyz.html">

Is this a 301 redirect or meta refresh?

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:50 AM

That's a meta refresh.

What does Randy's http header checker tool tell you?

#8 seo_bright

seo_bright

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:59 AM

It shows 200 status code for the old/wrong filenames.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

Yep, not surprsing. So if they told you they did a 301 redirect, they lied or don't know what they're talking about.

#10 Grumpus

Grumpus

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:13 PM

I know we're a little past this... but... Here's a tip for finding out what kind of a server you're on... go to whois.domaintools.com and plug your domain name in there. It'll not only give you registration info, but tell you the server IP address, what kind it is (IIS/Windows does not have .htaccess - Apache and others in that *nix family of servers will have it).

(Windows hosts usually have a way to redirect URL's in your site's control panel.)

#11 seo_bright

seo_bright

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:23 AM

Thanks for clearing me on that. But I dont know how to convince the hosting ppl probably they dont know what they had done. Since its html files both old and new, do I have to ask them to enable ASP for the old file names in order to insert the asp redirect code which I found in the pinned threads here?

#12 seo_bright

seo_bright

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:49 AM

According to Randy's tool, the server is Microsoft-IIS/6.0

As both the old filename and new file name are html files only I cannot insert asp coding to it. Howver from the pinned thread will the following steps work in my case.

IIS handles this differently.

If you control the server, you open the Internet Services Manager, then choose the server running the site you want to forward.

Right click on the site and choose Properties > Home Directory

You will see the Following:
---------------------------------------------------
When connecting to this resource, the content should come from:
A directory located on this computer
A share located on another computer
A redirection to a URL
The default is the first one. Change it to "A redirection to a URL" and type in the new URL. Done.

There are more variables that can be passed on. You can see the official MS resource here: http://support.micro...?...074&sd=tech

If you don't control the IIS server, ask the admin to do the above.

Please confirm so as to ask my hosting ppl to do the above.

#13 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:02 AM

Disclaimer: Remember first I'm not an IIS person, so it's been awhile. You may want to wait for someone who works in IIS every day to confirm this, though frankly the host should know how to do this since they obviously work in IIS every day.

Those are kinda/sorta the directions on IIS. Cept for two things. First I think you'll want them to right click on the Page you want to redirect since you're redirecting a page and not a whole site. Second you'll want them to make sure the Permanent Redirection box is checked before they OK the change.

Ian has instructions for IIS redirects, with screenshots, available here that will probably be helpful. There's a section there for whole site redirects (not what you're doing) and individual page redirects.

#14 seo_bright

seo_bright

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:45 AM

Thanks Randy, That link was great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.