• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google News Sitemap Not Indexing?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chaz7979

chaz7979

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:19 PM

I have had a website in Google news for 6 months or so now but all of a sudden it seems as though the urls are no longer being indexed. We are still in Google News as if we have a story with numbers in the title we see the story listed but the stories without the random numbers that used to be indexed through the news sitemap are no longer being indexed. Currently the Google tools says that the sitemap has 3 urls but 0 are indexed, it has said that for weeks now. The status is "OK" and there are no warnings or errors. The last downloaded date is July 4th which is also strange because they map used to be downloaded every couple of hours and Google NEVER missed a story. Any idea what could cause this? I assumed we had been removed from the news but, like I said, if we have a story with some random numbers, the story is in fact indexed. Its like Google doesnt care for our sitemap anymore.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:24 PM

We are still in Google News as if we have a story with numbers in the title we see the story listed but the stories without the random numbers that used to be indexed through the news sitemap are no longer being indexed.

Do you mean numbers in the URL (as opposed to the Title)?

If so, then that's why. I believe part of the criteria for getting indexed by Google news is that you have to have numbers in the URL.

#3 chaz7979

chaz7979

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 8 2009, 05:24 PM) View Post
Do you mean numbers in the URL (as opposed to the Title)?

If so, then that's why. I believe part of the criteria for getting indexed by Google news is that you have to have numbers in the URL.

Yes, I meant URL and not title (we use wordpress so, the title is typically the url unless we edit it)

Google news will only index a url of it has random digits in the url OR if the website uses a sitemap. The random digital are only required in instances where a news sitemap is NOT used.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:06 PM

Ahh... yes, I didn't realize that.

So were there any other changes made to your sitemap?

All I can say is have a read of Google's official help page on the subject and make sure you're doing everything right.

If no luck, I'd chalk it up to a temporary glitch which will probably fix itself.

#5 chaz7979

chaz7979

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:17 PM

You learn something new everyday ;-)

I agree that it could be a glitch but it has been going on for a couple of weeks now. My fingers are still crossed, I was just hoping that someone else might have had experience with this kind of problem...it suspiciously looks like some kind of weird Google penalty.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:19 PM

Are you sure that your article quality is still up to snuff? That's the thing I would wonder about most.

When I was searching for info on this topic, it didn't seem like others were having a similar problem, so I really don't know what to tell you. I haven't done any Google news indexing (as you can tell by my ignorance on the sitemap issue!).

Not sure if others here have experience with it or not.

#7 chaz7979

chaz7979

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:17 PM

The articles havent changed... unless their algorithm expects more, we should be fine. Its not like the articles are just being ignored, the sitemap hasnt even been downloaded in weeks. Usually you will see the sitemap "last download" be no less than 24 hours old and then if articles are not up to snuff, the google tools will tell you why. For instance, it might say "article to short" or something along those lines. It no longer does that. It simply says there are 5 urls in the sitemap, it was last downloaded weeks ago, and 0 of the urls have been indexed.

I appreciate you poking around, I guess I will just hold out hope that someone else might be noticing some news sitemap funkiness. It seems as though the news sitemaps and google news in general are a whole different beast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!