• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Google Chrome Os

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 zephyr

zephyr

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:42 AM

G has taken the next logical step towards making entire world G-colored.
"Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel"

http://googleblog.bl...-chrome-os.html

So it's another flavor of Linux? They do say it will be Open Source...
If they can have a complete OS that runs standard software as efficiently as Chrome Browser runs, they may have something.

#2 Gerry White

Gerry White

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE(zephyr @ Jul 8 2009, 02:42 PM) View Post

If they can have a complete OS that runs standard software as efficiently as Chrome Browser runs, they may have something.

The whole thing reminds me of dumb terminals, (almost before I was born) and the cloud approach is fantastic, as long as it works seemlessly when things are disconnected - i.e. I am on a train, or something ... I would also want UPNP and loads of other stuff before I could take that dive.

I wonder if the default search engine will be Google ...

econsultancy have done quite a good commentary, http://econsultancy....oogle-chrome-os

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:01 AM

My understanding of the Chrome OS is that it's mainly going to be targeted towards Netbook users at least initially. Meaning it's not really going to be for PC users that need a lot of different application type of software installed, leaning more towards the Cloud Computing crowd.

That said, since they're apparently built on top of the Linux operating system it'll have a lot of power and security lying under anything else they put on top of it. And there's already been a lot of development in the Linux world to open it up to PC users. So it should be a relatively trivial matter to take the Chrome OS from a Netbook type of application to a more robust application for PC users.

#4 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:08 AM

yeah but what software and games will run on it, that's the important question!

It could be the best, fastest, most secure OS ever made, but if nothing runs on it , it'll be as usefull as a chocolate tea pot!

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

hysterical.gif Chocolate tea pot. I love it!

Seriously, I do understand why cloud computing is so desired and pushed in some circles. Personally though, I still have some pretty large misgivings about jumping into it with one foot, let alone both.

Data security is such a huge issue that I just can't talk myself into offloading this responsibility to someone else, especially when I don't know every single piece of the security puzzle they have in place. We're talking serious security risks, both personally and professionally.

Though it has little to do with cloud computing, there was an AP article in my local paper just the other day about how some academic researchers were able to find out and verify social security number of a whole slew of people, as well as lots of other sensitive data working from a few pieces of publicly available information, including the date of birth and hometown people were listing on their own Facebook pages.

It wasn't a very sophisticated search and the researchers didn't even try very hard (they maxed out at 1,000 total iterations) yet were able to get the full SSN of 8.5 percent of 'Murcans. Additionally they were able to get the all important first five digits for a whopping 44% of those they tried to crack. Having the first five digits means they'd have a maximum 9,999 attempts to get the full SSN, which is child's play if that's what you're trying to do.

If you extrapolate the successful crack rate of the rudimentary test over the entire US population the 8.5% would be roughly equal to 26 million people whose personal data is open to be hijacked. If you do the same sort of extrapolation and figure someone really trying to get the info would up the 1000 iterations to 9,999 maximum to crack the full SSN of the 44% where the first five digits were already known, it would amount to 133 million 'Murcans with compromised SSN's, which of course everybody wants you to give them.

Given the small fact it's abundantly clear to me that far too many people are already blindly handing over security of their own personal info to far too many others and given the fact that the folks they're handing it over to have proven to be very questionable stewards, it's my opinion that Cloud Computing can do little other than exacerbate the problem. Not because it's inherently evil but because there will be even more personal and sensitive information out there to help make the connection between supposedly anonymous information and real personal data. After all it only takes one bad apple or one person not being completely on their toes to get a lot of people harmed in a hurry.

Nope, I don't think I'll dip a toe in those waters myself. wink1.gif

#6 nethy

nethy

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:37 PM

1dmf,

I assume that a browser (guess which) runs on it. All apps are web apps. That's the point isn't it. I'm guessing no games.

Since they are launching on netbooks at first I assume that it will be optimised for ultra cheap hardware. If it runs Google apps, that's good enough.

#7 Nueromancer

Nueromancer

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(zephyr @ Jul 8 2009, 02:42 PM) View Post

exactlyhow is yet another lnux distribution of linus new! and reading the comments buy some mpuppet that claims to be be an engineering director that "users wont have to deal with viruses etal" FFS just how clueless do you have to be to work at google woul dlove to be in teh room when Bruce Schneier rips this apart.

#8 zephyr

zephyr

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:31 PM

Jason Brooks has a unique view in latest eWeek.
Open source is to help prevent vendor lock-in. To that end, he maintains that Exchange or Yahoo Zimbra is effectively more open than Google Apps, because you can host on their cloud, your cloud, or somebody else's cloud. Which also allows for your own security comfort level. So will Chrome OS allow the option of then reworking Google Apps, or using different apps??

#9 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

All apps are web apps.
Err nope they most certainly are not.

web apps are , but not all apps!

My music programs, audio editing programs, games, email client , office program, blah blah.. all run locally from installed software not from the web.

So what use would a web app only OS be to me?

And as Randy says, SECURITY! , I've already had my G! account hijacked, and we actually think it was an inside job due to the circumstances, so, no amount of security is going to fix that ever growing porblem of a bad apple spoiling the barrel.

It only took one asian to steal all those credit card numbers to give indian call centers a bad name, jezus we can even trust our own government to not loose personal data in the damn post.

nah, what with me being paranoid, don't carry a mobile phone (it's a tracking device!) and having an aluminum foil hat, i won't be dipping Randy's toe in that merky water, let alone my own!

#10 nethy

nethy

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:23 PM

All apps are web apps means all apps running here are web apps.

I don't know if there will be installable apps or not. Probably will be. At least the internety ones: Skype, pandora, stuff like that. But that's not the point. This is an OS for running a web app machine, a netbook. It's probably not a replacement for a full computer, but it's cheap and does what it does well. My guess is that most people using a netbook at the moment also have other computers.

Security? Borrow Randy's tin foil hat. Everyone else uses whatever security is built in to their washing machine. Most people's security is already horrendous. Formally handing over the reins to Google will do wonders for the average level of security.

#11 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:45 AM

lol.gif - so easy to miss interpret something.

Do you believe Google's OS will have better security than other OS manufacturers?

I find that hard to beleive when G! Chrome is built on Safari, which is officially the most unsecure browsers available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!