• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Correct Code For No-follw Tag

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Nozmo

Nozmo

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:51 AM

I have a two quick questions on using no-follow tags. I am writing the tags to look like this:

<a href="http://www.example.com" rel="no follow">textlink</a>

Is the spacing critical?

Also, I came across this code in another blog (that has many links from blog to website). Does this code accomplish the same thing as a no-follow tag?

<a href="http://www.example.com" target="_blank">textlink</a>

Thanks

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:48 AM

Is the spacing critical?

Not sure what spacing you're referring to, but as with most HTML, spaces are unimportant.

<a href="http://www.example.com" target="_blank">textlink</a>

That will just open the link up in a new window.

I have a two quick questions on using no-follow tags.

One question for you...what's the purpose of your nofollow links? If it's for internal links to your own site, you might want to read up on the latest chatter about PageRank sculpting and it not being something to do anymore (according to Google).

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

Use "nofollow" not "no follow" if you're going to use the attribute correctly.

Though frankly 99% don't need it at all.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:08 PM

Ohhhh THAT space!

Yes, it does matter lots. It won't work if it's "no follow."

#5 Nozmo

Nozmo

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jul 7 2009, 01:58 PM) View Post

Though frankly 99% don't need it at all.

I am applying "nofollow" to the links between our blog and website. I have been told, in WMF, that this is one of the primary issues for why we have been blacklisted in Google. This has been a very difficult issue to get my arms around, since there seems to be more than one opinion on the subject. What makes it more confusing is that the blog created all these types of links in my WMT account: [link removed per [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules]Forum Rules[/url]] No one really seems able to explain this.

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:37 PM

If your blog is unique and of good quality and your site is unique and of good quality the advice to nofollow those links makes no sense at all.

And even if your blog isn't good quality unique information the fix is not to actively nofollow links, but should be to fix the quality problem.

Do you really intend to tell the search engines that you don't trust content that you're responsible for creating? Because that's basically what you're doing.

Me thinks you need to hire a qualified SEO professional to get to the root of the problem instead of guessing at it.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:55 PM

I am applying "nofollow" to the links between our blog and website.

You must be misunderstanding. Are you sure that's what they said because it makes no sense. No forum who understands SEO and linking, etc., would suggest such a thing, which makes me wonder what they actually said.

#8 Nozmo

Nozmo

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:10 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 7 2009, 02:55 PM) View Post
You must be misunderstanding. Are you sure that's what they said because it makes no sense. No forum who understands SEO and linking, etc., would suggest such a thing, which makes me wonder what they actually said.

The link below is to the information from WMF. I am being told by "experts" that the blog/website links are bad. I also have an SEO company that is telling me the links are okay. I also have the mysterious links appearing in my WMT that I provided for review. I don't personally believe the links from the blog to the website are bad - but you can read for yourself what I am being told - that is why I keep coming back to this issue, because of the conflicting information. I'm not trying to ask for any site review, or anything like that. We have a plan in place to fix code, duplicate URLs etc that should be done this week. But, the blog thing is a conflict that I am hoping to find a correct path forward.

http://www.google.co...m...4a8b2&hl=en

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

If you're paying an SEO consultant, you should listen to them. People on forums only know half the story.

#10 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

Ignore the advice you were given in the Webmaster Forum discussion. Those people hand out bad advice like free candy on a factory tour day.

I've looked at both your sites. The fact that one links to the other is no reason for a penalty or filter. I have an entire network of personal sites that are tightly interlinked. I've never incurred a penalty.

If you're losing search referral traffic, that's not the reason.

#11 Nozmo

Nozmo

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Jul 7 2009, 05:36 PM) View Post
Ignore the advice you were given in the Webmaster Forum discussion. Those people hand out bad advice like free candy on a factory tour day.

I've looked at both your sites. The fact that one links to the other is no reason for a penalty or filter. I have an entire network of personal sites that are tightly interlinked. I've never incurred a penalty.

If you're losing search referral traffic, that's not the reason.

Thanks so much - we've been working on this for over a month. This, and our overall navigation, were the last two sticking points in my mind. I really, really didn't want to add the no-follow tags - just didn't seem right, plus I saw my primary competitor doing the same thing. There is some sort of filter going on by Google on our site (since I cannot find any pages when I enter the exact content from a page into the search bar), but I am hopeful that once we have some of the technical things fixed - code errors, dup URLs, etc, we will have success with a reconsideration request.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.