• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Maintain Separate .com And Cctld Versions Without Parking Or Redirect

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 headquarters

headquarters

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:49 AM

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help out here please and thanks . . . I've read through the international SE sticky up top a good number of times.

My colleagues and I don't want to park or redirect our new ccTLD on or to our established and high ranking .com or vice versa.

We want to publish a ccTLD version soon while maintaining our current .com version as separate.

Our questions are:

1) How different does the text content have to be to avoid having the upcoming ccTLD version's publication being considered as spam in relation to the established .com version?

2) Can we put a link on all of the pages on the ccTLD site to the .com version of the site? (So the visitor can hop from the ccTLD into the .com from anywhere on the ccTLD via such links.)

Appreicate all the help and information here at HR and looking forward to hearing back from someone or those who may be able to be of assistance.

Thank you,

headquarters

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:14 PM

1) How different does the text content have to be to avoid having the upcoming ccTLD version's publication being considered as spam in relation to the established .com version?

A single duplicate copy isn't going to be considered spam. Duplicate maybe, but that only gets filtered. Whereas spam gets penalized.

2) Can we put a link on all of the pages on the ccTLD site to the .com version of the site? (So the visitor can hop from the ccTLD into the .com from anywhere on the ccTLD via such links.)

Yes you can, but you need to understand and accept that only one version is going to show up in any SERP. The link is going to make a connection between the two.

As far as how much duplication is enough to trigger the duplicate content filter, there is no answer to that one. It depends upon if the search engines make a connection between the two sites or not.

I used to have some sites in the same general market, but which targeted completely different users. That they were built to appeal to different users didn't matter one iota. Nor did the fact that there was exactly zero duplicate content between the sites. Each site had its own unique content.

But they targeted the same keyword phrases in the same general market. And there was a known connection between the sites because I never even attempted to hide that they were all owned/run by the same company. So as far as the SERPs went only one of the sites would show up in the same SERP page for any of the shared keyword phrases. Which was completely right as far as I'm concerned. One site would show up for some phrases, another site would show up for other phrases. Neither was penalized and neither shared the same SERP page in Google.

Now the real difference comes in with how the different search engines handled this. Google would show only one site, based upon the search phrase being used. In Yahoo and MSN all of the sites would show up in the same SERP page for some phrases. Because they never made the connection between the sites, probably because there was zero shared or duplicated content. Google was just smarter.

#3 headquarters

headquarters

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for this Randy.

As mentioned, we currently have our site.com enjoying high ranking SERP results in world-wide search.

If I understand you correctly we can make a single duplicate copy and publish such a copy as site.ccTLD without any spam penalty - but we should be prepared to expect some filtration.

The reason we want to dupe the site on to a ccTLD is because the .com version is experiencing high ranking SERP in world wide searches, but not showing up very well at all in "search our country pages only" searches.

Is it okay to just go ahead and put the same site out there twice - one as the .com (already published) and then publish a dupe as the as the ccTLD?

If this is okay to do, I would imagine world wide searches would tend to bring up the .com version while "search our country pages only" searches would bring up the ccTLD version of the site. (If they're dupliacte versions of the site though (except for their domains) it wouldn't matter to us which version got ranked in results, either one coming up would be fine.

Our sole objective in all of this is to somehow get our site to come up better in SERP of "search our country pages only" searches without affecting the high rankings currently being enjoyed in world wide searches of our keywords by our current site.com. That's why we acquired an identically named ccTLD, for this express purpose. Somehow I got under the impression that you can't just totally dupe the site from the .com to get the ccTLD, but from what I understand from your feedback above, it would be ok to do just that, or have I misunderstood you?

Really appreciate your help and look forward to hearing back from you when you're next able to respond . . .

Thank you!

headquarters

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:43 AM

I'm guessing you'd have to build up a lot of link popularity to the UK version, and it would still take some years of building up general authority for it to beat out your other page, even in the uk-only searches.

You'd also want to do other things to "uk-ify" it as per the pinned thread on geotargeting your website. I wouldn't be surprised if it also helped to geotarget it within some google adwords campaigns.

#5 headquarters

headquarters

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:54 PM

Thanks Randy and Jill, appreciate the feedback. I'll return to the original idea for the new ccTLD. (I was going to post this thread in that thread, but it's somewhat dormant, so I thought my query might get noticed more easily with a new thread.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!