• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Proper Usage Of Subfolders And Keywords

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Breakline Marketing

Breakline Marketing

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:05 PM

Hello Everyone,

Been a while since we've last posted. Hope you are doing well. So we're currently doing a redesign of a clients website that's going to entail a bunch of additional pages. One of the recommendations we've made it to create an overview page that will exist as the primary subfolder for a given section with the subpages acting as the secondary subfolder.

Example:

www.example.com/xxxx-workshops/ (Main Overview Page)

www.example.com/xxxx-workshops/yyyy-workshops (Subpage)

Here's the question.... is it necessary to repeat Workshops again for the subpage? I ask because we have other parts of the site that are described with yyyy. An example of another section would be:

www.example.com/xxxx-retreats/ (Main Overview Page)

www.example.com/xxxx-retreats/yyyy-retreats (Subpage)

I would prefer just to drop the second instance of workshops and retreats so that it renders as

www.example.com/xxxx-workshops/yyyy

www.example.com/xxxx-retreats/yyyy

It's a lot shorter. If we drop the second instance will this create confusion with the SE's. Please let us know if this makes any sense.

Best,

BRLM

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

Dropping the second instance of the keyword certainly won't confuse the search engines. Having keywords in the URL appears to help, and Google has officially said it helps, but not a lot, so I doubt having a keyword appear twice in the URL is going to help much more than having it appear once, if at all.

I personally believe it's a good thing for a page's URL to say something about the content of the page, but I'd avoid repeating keywords the way you might in a title tag. I think it looks a little spammy. Assuming yyyy is a subset of xxxx, the URL with the single instance of "workshops" is bound to get the message across just as well as it would with the second. That is, domain.com/nevada-workshops/reno.htm tells me enough without the need for domain.com/nevada-workshops/reno-workshops.htm.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:14 PM

Here's the question.... is it necessary to repeat Workshops again for the subpage?

It's definitely not necessary. It's not even necessary to have them in the URL at all. Although, like what Qwerty said, they can certainly help for usability and maybe even some for the search engines.

But necessary? Nope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.