• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Do Most People Search Broad Or Exact

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SEMMatt

SEMMatt

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 01:32 PM

Hello,

Do most people search with or without quotes? Exact match (with quotes) or Broad match (without quotes). I'm trying to make some keyword choices based on the size of the results market so it's important to know that.

Thanks,

Matt

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:36 PM

Most search using broad match. You can even see it in your web stats if the system you use differentiates the two, and most do show the quotes in the keyword string this days.

Plus out of all of the groups I've had over to do in person studies and surveys this is one of those things I've always included in my analysis. We ask them to search for a certain type of product, service or information. (Verbally, so they don't just type what's on the page.) Then we collect what they've typed in to try and find something appropriate. Out of all of those searches will literally thousands of test subjects less than 1% have ever used quotes to do an exact match. And even those didn't start out that way. It was usually the 3rd or 4th search for the same general thing.

#3 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

Well phoey on you Randy. I "am" that thousands who do that exact match thing! I frequently do "exact match" because I do web development and troubleshooting often means better results with precise strings.

But I grant you that I am in the minority, probably the miniscule part of the minority!

I bow. sarcastic_blum.gif

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 04:36 PM

hysterical.gif Don't feel too bad, I'm one of the vast minority too. That's why I put the item in my little surveys as a Must Watch item, because I too search with quotes when I know generally what I'm looking for. I even do combined broad and exact matches in the same search phrase.

Turns out virtually no normal searchers use it from everything I can tell. I suspect because most don't even know you can do it, since the occasional times I know enough about what I'm looking for and use exact match the quality of the SERP improves tremendously.

#5 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

CODE
I even do combined broad and exact matches in the same search phrase.
- Ditto and scary!

CODE
Turns out virtually no normal searchers use it from everything I can tell
- Meaning that we are "abnormal"? That's certainly a relief.

Statistically meaning that if we take up 2 of those "irregular" search types, then there are more "regular" people out there who behave (perhaps) and search normally. Which boat does Jill fall in?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,927 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:49 AM

Which boat does Jill fall in?

I do both too.

I think more experienced searchers do, because it's easier to find what you're looking for. I can pretty much find anything on Google if it exists, where sometimes others come up empty.

#7 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:05 PM

Meaning that we are "abnormal"?

I believe the phrase is Power Users.

Though of course that doesn't mean we're not abnormal. I freely admit and revel in being a bit off from the norm. wink1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!