• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Different Languages - Paramaterized Links?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mortona

mortona

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

Lets say my company is at www.mysite.com. Clicking on a language link sets a cookie via javascript and refreshes the page. Because of this, only the english is indexed. My suggestion after reading up on it is to put the languages in subdirectories (www.mysite.com/es). Some coworkers seemed hesitant and want to know if they could use parametrized links instead to set the cookie on the server side (thinking this works for crawlers). What are the implications of doing it either way?

Thanks for looking!

Oh, I forgot to mention: The importance of the cookie is that our site is primarily a flash application, and so language is set for both the HTML landing/home page and the app.

Edited by mortona, 02 July 2009 - 04:04 PM.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:47 PM

Either way should work out to be the same for the search engines. Adding a language subdirectory creates a slightly different url string from the original. Add a parameter also creates a slightly different url string from the original. Either way it should help the search engines find those different language pages. Unlike what's happening now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!