• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Whether My Website Get Penalised By Google

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 gagan

gagan

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:08 AM

I have one website which was in top 30-40 postitions in google for all my keywords But this week it disappeared completely and could not be found even in top 100 .

My website is still in google as I can search it with my domian name. My website is only 2 months old .

Whether my website went to sandbox because its new ? or is it penalized

Gagan

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:45 AM

you can check to see what pages are in the index by using the site: operator... site:yourdomain.com

One thing I have noticed is G! seems to give new content / sites a little boost for a few months, then your rankings fade as the pages settle down to their true ranking.

It could also be that other sites have been working hard on imporving their ranking and so force yours down.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:04 AM

It sounds like the normal new site reaction to me.

They basically give you a break on the incoming link front early on with new sites, then a few months down the road expect you to have started garnering links from other sites. So if you haven't started a link building campaign, especially if you're in even a moderately competitive sector, it's completely normal for your new site to fall out of the top 50 after the few months grace period.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:40 PM

or is it penalized

Why would it be penalized? What did you do that might be seen as a trick or deception to the engines?

If nothing, than you can rule out penalization right off the bat.

#5 gagan

gagan

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 1 2009, 02:40 PM) View Post
Why would it be penalized? What did you do that might be seen as a trick or deception to the engines?

If nothing, than you can rule out penalization right off the bat.

I bought Links as all my competitors are doing it , its only 2 month old but due to buying links I achieved a toolbar PR 3 lolz

It could also be that other sites have been working hard on imporving their ranking and so force yours down.

This is not factor according to me as when I search for my domain name removing .com I rank at No 11 and the sites linking to me are ahead of me .

What you suggest should I keep on waiting then or is there any other way

Regards

Gagan

#6 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:24 AM

I bought Links as all my competitors are doing it , its only 2 month old but due to buying links I achieved a toolbar PR 3 lolz
You can buy all the links you want, it is those who sell links for PR that get penalised not those that buy them from what I understand.

Otherwise I could go and purchase a load of links to your site and get you baned (if I was a competitor), think about it!

This is not factor according to me as when I search for my domain name removing .com I rank at No 11 and the sites linking to me are ahead of me .
This doesn't mean anything, without knowing the search term / domain name and if there is word separators in it, it is imposible to know how someone else ranks over you.

Just because you haven keywords and hyphens in a domain name it doesn't automatically make you no.1 if you use those words for a search and if your domain name contains words that other highly ranked sites contain, then their overall page rank can help them rank for lesser words by default, regardless of you having them in your domain name.

look at my signature for a prime example wink1.gif

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:09 AM

It's possible that those purchased links are simply not counting anymore, if Google could tell they are ads and not votes.

But, as Randy said, it's perfectly normal for a site to do well at first and then drop out of sight for awhile.

#8 designbug

designbug

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:05 AM

QUOTE(gagan @ Jul 1 2009, 08:08 AM) View Post
I have one website which was in top 30-40 postitions in google for all my keywords But this week it disappeared completely and could not be found even in top 100 .

The same thing has just happened to me only it's my own site which held placing of between 1 and 4 depending on the page for quite a number of years. Rankings then moved down to floating between 3 & 5 or something close to that (nothing to be ashamed of but still frustrating - sorry it's hard to give up #1 placement, LOL!) and no matter what I did over the period of about 18-mos to 2yrs I could not get it back up to the original rankings but it was holding tight in the top 3-5.

It was time for a site re-do so I redid it in Wordpress (which I fought doing for the longest time due to mistrust in what it would do to my rankings) and now as I feared might happen, disaster has struck - I no longer exist on at least the first 3 pages of Google or Yahoo and that's far as I've taken it so far. I cannot find the problem. Checking "site:mydomain.com" my pages are still in Google, but they have dropped to some dark recess for some reason that I'm still digging for so hopefully can fix. I'm not blaming Wordpress, certainly on it's own it can't be the cause of my "demise" but it's interesting that everything bad that's happened seems to coincide with the newly live WP version of my site.

I was always VERY careful to keep minimal code on the pages above my content when I had a static site. Well, I can't do that with WP because it's install and each plugin one installs to use on the site, puts all kinds of code into the header that to my knowledge I have no way to access to put things like .js into includes. Right now I have 5519 characters in my HTML before my content which is really freaking me out especially with no way to access it. Supposedly, the bots ignore the code but I really have to wonder on that one considering what's happened. Of course, that's just one possibility among who knows how many and may or may not be a contributing factor.

I use friendly url's so I don't think that's an issue. I kept the main site pages the same page name as the old when the new site went live. I didn't concern myself to much with keeping same page names on less important pages.

I had one instance of duplicate content on another site, a thief stole 7 of my pages and put exact copies on their web site. Now get this ... mine is a web designer site, theirs was a sewer/septic site, why they'd even want my copy on their site makes no sense because it's not even close to being related. I don't know how long they were there before I found them, could have been several months. I now have an account with Copyscape! As soon as I found the dup content, I did the C&D thing and the dups vanished within 2 days thank goodness. I currently have one page that's been dup'd on another site (and this one IS a web designer's site) apparently just w/in the past week and after almost a week of trying to get them to remove, it's still there today. I would imagine the first instance of 7 pages on a non-related site may have something to do with my site disappearing but I don't know how much it takes for that to happen. The second site that stole my stuff stole one page and it's not a main page/content, total of a few paragraphs, so I'm not as concerned as I was about the first seven, but I still want it fixed.

My point in all of this to the OP is that what happened to you could be one or more of MANY things. I would do some investigating if I were you. I'm trying to backtrack to all changes over the past few months and see if there's something I can do about this huge drop.

#9 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:33 AM

Deb, did you set up 301 redirects from all of your old pages to the new wordpress locations? I'm assuming here that the old pages are gone and have been replaced by pages created in wordpress.

If so you'll definitely want 301 redirects set up. Otherwise you're likely going to lose a good bit of link pop.

#10 designbug

designbug

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jul 21 2009, 06:33 AM) View Post
Deb, did you set up 301 redirects from all of your old pages to the new wordpress locations? I'm assuming here that the old pages are gone and have been replaced by pages created in wordpress.

If so you'll definitely want 301 redirects set up. Otherwise you're likely going to lose a good bit of link pop.

I didn't need 301's for the main pages as I kept their same page names, I didn't for the less important pages and there are a lot of new pages that weren't on the previous site. Actually, I did give it a go on the 301's for some of the pages, but for some reason I couldn't make them work. Have no clue what I did wrong but I'm assuming it's got something to do with perhaps having to do it differently for a WP site. I got so frustrated I finally gave up and made sure the main pages were named the same and then quit.

#11 designbug

designbug

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jul 21 2009, 06:33 AM) View Post

I think you just became a Hero, Randy. I just went and checked my pages, even the ones I didn't think needed a re-direct (although when I initially checked them they were working - musta been a cache thing or something else) but I found I DID need redirects and have now added them via a WP plug-in that made it VERY easy to do smile.gif You have my undying gratitude! Hopefully, I'll be back up at least where I was very soon before this all went to heck on me.

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:50 AM

Offtopic
Wonders just how many people Randy is hero to!? appl.gif

#13 designbug

designbug

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 21 2009, 09:50 AM) View Post
Offtopic
Wonders just how many people Randy is hero to!? appl.gif

Well, actually ALL the people here at HR are my heros ... you have saved my bacon to many times to count ... just happened today was Randy's turn <g> clapping.gif

#14 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:19 PM

Anybody here (Mods and Members alike) could have and probably would have suggested the same Deb, given the symptoms. I just happened to get here first because I was up and working at 3am this morning (been dreaming code again giggle.gif ) so got by HRF decently early in the day.

I do hope it's the solution and gets things worked out for you. I can tell you I've not had any issues whatsoever in the last couple of years when changing file names around like you described. Even on a large scale level where every page url was changing. I've always made sure the 301's were in place from the moment the switch over took place. So hopefully the brief delay won't cause any type of disconnect for the search engines.

#15 designbug

designbug

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jul 21 2009, 12:19 PM) View Post
Anybody here (Mods and Members alike) could have and probably would have suggested the same Deb, given the symptoms. I just happened to get here first because I was up and working at 3am this morning (been dreaming code again giggle.gif ) so got by HRF decently early in the day.

I do hope it's the solution and gets things worked out for you. I can tell you I've not had any issues whatsoever in the last couple of years when changing file names around like you described. Even on a large scale level where every page url was changing. I've always made sure the 301's were in place from the moment the switch over took place. So hopefully the brief delay won't cause any type of disconnect for the search engines.

Me tooooooooo! and cheers.gif to a fellow night owl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!