• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Does 301 Redirect Every Page Of My Site

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shinbet

shinbet

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:07 AM

Hi
I have read thru the 301 redirect forums.. I obviously got here because I am trying to research this question,
can anyone either answer me or point me to the post that addresses my issue.

If i create a 301 redirect will it work for every page of my site?
And will the site appear with the old url or the new one?

E.G

I build my site at www.mysite.com/hello.htm

if I have another domain and want to point it to the above link and do a 301 redirect (asssuming this is what i should be doing) www.myotherdomain.com/hello.htm

- will i see my site at myotherdomain.com or once i hit enter does the url change to mysite.com/hello.htm

is it possible to view my site fully, from 2 domains (without 2 webhosting accounts and uploading the same content twice)

Thank you for anyone who understand me and can shed some light on this

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:34 AM

Yes, it changes to youotherdomain.com with a 301-redirect, which is a good thing.

You could just park the domain as an alias if you don't want the name to change, but then you run the risk of both domains getting indexed by Google and thus splitting your link popularity between them. (Which is bad.)

#3 shinbet

shinbet

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 1 2009, 08:34 AM) View Post
Yes, it changes to youotherdomain.com with a 301-redirect, which is a good thing.

You could just park the domain as an alias if you don't want the name to change, but then you run the risk of both domains getting indexed by Google and thus splitting your link popularity between them. (Which is bad.)

well thanks so much for answering.
the main reason i asked my question is because one domain is .com the other is .co.uk
and i want the users of the .co.uk domain to continue seeing .co.uk and not be redirected.
so according to you this will be the case!

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:43 PM

Then you don't want to redirect them.

I think there's more info in our International SEM Issues Forum on best practices for your circumstances.

#5 shinbet

shinbet

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jul 1 2009, 03:43 PM) View Post
Then you don't want to redirect them.

I think there's more info in our International SEM Issues Forum on best practices for your circumstances.

thank you very much
I realize now that this question has been asked, but until someone knows a little bit more than the basics, they will always ask the question, as they will not be familiar with the terminology to use when research
so i thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

Happy July 4th

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.