• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Hosting .co.uk Domain In Usa

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:41 AM

I have a website.co.uk and hosting in USA (shared basic hosting) but the website targets UK only. Would this effect my ranking/search results.

Should I choose a UK based hosting company?

Thanks

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

You shouldn't have to host in the UK. The ccTLD should be enough to get it assigned as a UK based site.

See the pinned thread above for more info on the things the engines look at.

#3 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:53 PM

Yes, Randy is right with that one.
US hosting for .co.uk domains is Fine and treated as UK Geo-Targeted as has been the case for some years now.

It is .com domains hosted in the US and targeted at the UK that have problems. Google geotools goes some way to addressing this, but IMO, it is pretty sketchy and should not be relied on.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:00 PM

While I agree with you wholeheartedly Piskie, sometimes this geo stuff is odd.

For instance, after I set up the little Google Rank Reporting tool I threw together on a few of my sites I was frankly amazed at some of the UK rankings they sites have apparently attained. Even though they're all .com's and all hosted in the US. Seriously, I've got some sites ranking #1 in the co.uk version that are not nailed to the top spot on the .com version of Google for those same phrases. And the #1 in the .ca version. And #1 in the .com.au version. Among others.

Of course the thing the rank reporting tool is missing for all of those regional engine searches is that I have no way to tell if someone searched for "Only sites from XX Country" or if they're doing a more worldwide type of search. That would be nice to know I suppose, though I'm not fretting over not knowing The one thing the sites all do have in common is that they tend to attract links from folks, and not just folks in the US but from around the world. So those country specific links may also be helping me considerably.

It's just odd, and surprised me a more than little bit. I'm apparently kicking butt in at least a handful of countries that I do absolutely nothing to geo target. lol.gif Not that I'm complaining mind you...

#5 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

How about other search engines? Yahoo, Live etc

#6 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:58 PM

Yes Randy, unintentional positives abound. However the important factor is the Geo-Misses that happen with .com domains and hosting location.

#7 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:35 AM

All true Piskie. Much better to take care of the misses and hope for the unexpected positives. Best practices and all of that.

Ali0303: I haven't looked in any great depth since Bing started, but the last time I did the ccTLD seemed to be a main factor, if not the main factor with all of the search engines geo-targeting.

#8 mal4mac

mal4mac

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:40 AM

From my (limited) experience, I think it's well worth hosting a UK site on a UK server! If you do that at least you will never have to answer tricky questions:"I wonder if this site would do better on a UK server? I wonder if I really understood Randy's tricks? And do they work better than actually hosting on a UK server?" Nullifying these doubts is probably worth the hosting fees (and the pound's weak :-(, or :-) if you get paid mostly in dollars.)

#9 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

There are other potential advantages to hosting your site in the country/region most of your traffic comes from also mal4mac. Starting with having your hosts support folks on the same world clock that you're on if you ever need help with anything and need it quickly. And ending with the less distance a signal needs to travel back and forth to reach its final destination is usually better for the user. The point being that it obviously takes less time for a signal to retrieve a page to travel from Leeds to London and back than it does for the same signal to travel from Leeds to San Jose and back.

All things being equal it's usually best all around if you can host nearer to where you and the majority of your users reside. But from a historical viewpoint in the hosting space all things haven't been all that equal, with US hosting being considerably cheaper and often more powerful. Though some places in the world are catching up quickly.

Of course none of the above has anything whatsoever to do with SEO. Just common sense business decisions.

#10 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:12 AM

Rather than my usual rant over this as it is rather a pet peeve of mine.

As Randy says the only true way to ensure you are 'credited' with the correct GEO location is to use a ccTLD and host the site in that country also.

There is some jiggey pokery you can try , use the GWMT geo-location thingy, which seemded to work for my .org site hosted in USA. Bing still sees it as a USA site, but i'm no.1 for 'whole of web' search, so gave up worrying.

Having the site using the correct ccTLD generally does the trick.

The question is 'how important' is it that you appear in a specific Geo-location search? , again as Randy points out, it's a business decision which needs to be made and then do what has to be done to meet that requirement.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!