• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Best Practice For Displaying Additional Text On A Page?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 geoinct

geoinct

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:27 AM

What is the current best search engine friendly way(s) to give viewers the option to view additonal text on a page?

I have a client that has setup some descriptions on pages like this:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diem nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut lacreet dolore magna aliguam erat volutpat. Ut wisis enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tution ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis te feugifacilisi. Duis autem dolor in hendrerit

Read full story...

When the reader clicks on “Read full story...” the rest of the story is written on the page.

They are currently doing this with a JavaScript onclick call. Checking the Google text cache I can see that this text is not getting indexed.

Does anyone have some details on the best search engine friendly methods for this?
I’m assuming the best method would be using CSS.

In this case the method they are using is “inline” so that all the content on the page below moves down as the new text is written. Any method I suggest that is search engine friendly should also be “inline”

PS – Is there a name for this type of method used by developers, ie. giving site readers the option to view additional details on a page?

Thanks

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:36 AM

Is the content actually being added to the page via javascript when the Read More link is clicked?

Most have the content already there in the raw html code, but have parts of it set to be hidden when the page loads using a bit of css and a javascript trigger. The Read More link then would simply make the hidden bit visible, again via css. Javascript is still used to hide/unhide the extra content, so to users it looks the same. But with the words already in the raw html the search engines should pick it up.

#3 geoinct

geoinct

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jun 29 2009, 10:06 AM) View Post
Is the content actually being added to the page via javascript when the Read More link is clicked?

Most have the content already there in the raw html code, but have parts of it set to be hidden when the page loads using a bit of css and a javascript trigger. The Read More link then would simply make the hidden bit visible, again via css. Javascript is still used to hide/unhide the extra content, so to users it looks the same. But with the words already in the raw html the search engines should pick it up.

Hi Randy, Been a while

Well this is most interesting.

The text is in the code, but when I look at Google’s Text Only cache it’s not there. The “Read Full Story” link is there. However when I click on the “Read Full Story” link nothing appears since its JavaScript call

But I did a Google search for some unique text from the section of text. This page was returned in the results with part of the snippet I searched on in the listing description

So it is getting indexed.

Thanks!

#4 madams

madams

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:12 AM

I have been experimenting with this... geoinct.

Its not finished but I like the ability to get more info on the page, leaving the visitor to select what they want.

The code is SE friendly also!

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:04 AM

Yanno, I'd probably have to see the code to see if anything jumps out at me. Historically if the text is in the raw html code but simply being hidden by javascript it shows up in the text cache.

That said, and this is a complete guess on my part, this is one of those places I would first expect to see something different start showing up as Google migrates to using Javascript enabled spiders. Once those are out there I would sort of start expecting to see such js hidden text to start disappearing from the cache. Though technically if it's not in the text cache I would hope they would also remove that from the index altogether. Though I can think of reasons why it wouldn't. Especially since it's probable that they're still spidering with both the old style, non-js spider and the newer style js-enabled spider.

#6 geoinct

geoinct

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:25 AM

QUOTE(madams @ Jun 29 2009, 12:42 PM) View Post
I have been experimenting with this... geoinct.

Its not finished but I like the ability to get more info on the page, leaving the visitor to select what they want.

The code is SE friendly also!

Thanks madams. I'll check it out

#7 madams

madams

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:31 AM

The code can be found here... geoinct cool.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users