• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Webmaster Central Videos

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:51 PM

I'm gonna pin this one since I'm finally getting around to making the post.

I would encourage everybody to at least visit if not subscribe to the Google Webmaster Central channel over on Youtube. They've gotten really good lately about posting short videos that answer some of the questions they get daily. So there are lots of answers to common questions.

You do have to sometimes parse a bit between the words, since the speaker is usually answering a specific question that speaks to a very specific situation. So you need to be a little bit careful about extrapolating some of the info to similar, but not the same situations. But otherwise it's a great resource for webmasters and SEOs alike.

#2 pearlcompany

pearlcompany

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jun 25 2009, 10:51 AM) View Post
I'm gonna pin this one since I'm finally getting around to making the post.

I would encourage everybody to at least visit if not subscribe to the Google Webmaster Central channel over on Youtube. They've gotten really good lately about posting short videos that answer some of the questions they get daily. So there are lots of answers to common questions.

You do have to sometimes parse a bit between the words, since the speaker is usually answering a specific question that speaks to a very specific situation. So you need to be a little bit careful about extrapolating some of the info to similar, but not the same situations. But otherwise it's a great resource for webmasters and SEOs alike.

Other than the obvious lies I can't seem much benifit in watching them.

Fact....... Google Assigns Geographic Results in the database sure they allow you to select it once then change it to your TLD shortly afterwards its a one shot deal and they don't respect your choice ever so watching that lie was kind of annoying.

ie I have .ca domain name and chose UNITED STATES for geography the ip is in the US the only thing that is CA is the tld yet 2 weeks later they override the decision and place it favored in the CA google only because this is just another way to keep competition out of the US.

Same goes for co.uk .ru etc I have multiple experiences where I have selected US Geography with the ip of the servier in the US and the TLD of another country only to have google override this about 2 weeks or less after selecting it with no other chance at selecting it.

Its like allot of the tools you see it once and its gone and your locked out forever don't dont care much about the webmaster in general their.

As well they don't respect or even go through the majority of the sitemaps you submit they maybe do once and then unless you get lucky you get ignored.

Again if you disagree your wrong go ahead though its like me screaming into the wind and a waste of time most people seem to disagree with reality on a general basis with this only because well their most likely making a living from the generated make believe logs and work for some facit of the search engine. Its all make believe and reality seems to get in the way of most of it for most of these people.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:31 AM

You seem to be homing in on one very small aspect. The videos cover a lot more than Geo schtuff.

But to answer your question more directly, don't you think you're sending Google and all of the other search engines a pretty strong signal regarding your physical location when you choose a regional ccTLD? If I were in their shoes I too would rely on that as the most clear signal. Heck, with some of them you cannot even purchase a regional ccTLD if you cannot provide a real physical address that is within the boundaries of that particular region.

So trying to use a .ca or .co.uk or any of the other non-US ccTLDs and then telling Google via Webmaster Tools that it's really a US-based company is sending very, very mixed signals. So it's no surprise to me that they'd choose to follow the strongest signal, which is the ccTLD.

#4 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:18 PM

I love these videos. For someone like me who can't attend conferences, these are the next best thing. If you're interested in learning about Google these are surprisingly insightful and often entertaining.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:07 PM

I have watched many of those videos and have found them to be useful and informative. I don't expect either perfection or full disclosure but they are a far better source of information concerning how to use Google services and optimize for Google than you'll get off a lot of very popular SEO resource sites.

#6 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE(pearlcompany @ Jun 28 2009, 11:36 PM) View Post
Other than the obvious lies I can't seem much benifit in watching them.

woohoo another believer smile.gif google blogs and matt cutts ramblings are based around intentionally misleading drivel.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,918 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE(adibranch @ Oct 8 2009, 05:29 AM) View Post
woohoo another believer smile.gif google blogs and matt cutts ramblings are based around intentionally misleading drivel.

Wow harsh! I like to just call it Google Propaganda searchme.gif

#8 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:21 AM

do any of us believe them though? i thought i was in the minority, perhaps i'm not smile.gif Lets face it most of the questions put forward are quite lame, and they're answered in such a way that they're not answered. Even when they do answer some of the quesions directly, i still dont believe them. By directly answering questions from potential SEO /Webmasters trying to gain an increase in their rankings, they're essentially opening themselves to system abuse. It makes sense therefore to LIE , surely ? or at least bend the truth a bit.

#9 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,918 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:33 AM

Tons of people believe everything they say. Which is too bad for them.

I'm totally with you on this one Adibranch. They say what's in their best interest. While it's typically stuff I would also recommend because it's good, wholesome best practice stuff, just because they say it is how things work NOW doesn't make it so.

Eventually they may do all the things they claim they do now, but it's far off into the future.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!