• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Alt Attribute And Dynamic Websites

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Twix

Twix

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:28 AM

Hi,
We have an ecommerce site - database driven. The shopping cart is written to include the alt attribute on images and pulls the info to populate it from the keywords field. These images are alot of the time linked to a product page also. I do know that the alt attribute is supposed to be used to describe the image but in this case it's just a list of keywords. So my question is - will the site be penalized for spamming the alt attribute? I've had people saying that it's very dangerous and can cause loss in PageRank and other ramifications. This software is used by many sites so *fixing* it would be a major project on sites already set up. Will this cause big problems for them in the SEs? Should we contact the developer to rewrite it to use another field to popular that attribute?

Thanks

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 09:56 AM

any form of keyword spamming is bad.

Does the program try to create any kind of sensible description with the keywords, or is it just comma separated keyword spam?

If so you could definately be heading for trouble. I have a music site (in my sig), that has dynamic images / hyperlinks and title tags all driven from a DB, but it isn't a simple spammy keyword list and for the reasons you mention!

Do you have an example of an alt attribute?

#3 Twix

Twix

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

Hmmmm, thanks. Yeah it puts whatever is entered into the keyword field for that item/product. So maybe suggesting to the developer that they change that to pull what's in the item name field to populate the alt attribute ( instead of the keyword field ) might wise?

#4 msmom

msmom

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

The image alt tag is keyword is automatically written by what the image name is, so if the image name is red june bug, so will the alt tag be. Is that a problem? I'm thinking that would be a 'sensible' keyword / alt tag.

#5 Twix

Twix

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:30 AM

To me that sounds fine - I don't know though. In my case it comes from the keyword field and the alt looks like alt='keyword1, keyword2, keyword3, keyword4..etc"

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:54 AM

Twix, you definitely don't want to keyword spam your alt attributes. Change it to use the product name instead and you should be fine.

#7 Twix

Twix

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

Thanks! I appreciate it.

#8 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 04:16 AM

In my case it comes from the keyword field and the alt looks like alt='keyword1, keyword2, keyword3, keyword4..etc"
yup that is keyword spam and could result in problems, as Jill says, use product name or product description (depending on length) and you'll be fine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.