• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

2 Identical Websites Targeting 2 Different Countries?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cwar

cwar

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

Hi all!

We currently have a uk based website with a .co.uk extension and we want to target the US market.
Our initial plan was to buy a .net (the .com is not available anymore) and actually copy and paste the content of the .co.uk site to the .net one, changing just the essential information
-currency, geo targeted testimonials among other things-.
As an SEO manager, i m perfectly aware of the duplicate content issue and in regards to that, i was wondering what was the best solution according to you.

Thanks. Your answers will for sure be very helpful

Charly

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:17 AM

Have you read the pinned threads in this section of the forum which address the geotargeting issues?

#3 pearlcompany

pearlcompany

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(cwar @ Jun 22 2009, 03:51 PM) View Post
Hi all!

We currently have a uk based website with a .co.uk extension and we want to target the US market.
Our initial plan was to buy a .net (the .com is not available anymore) and actually copy and paste the content of the .co.uk site to the .net one, changing just the essential information
-currency, geo targeted testimonials among other things-.
As an SEO manager, i m perfectly aware of the duplicate content issue and in regards to that, i was wondering what was the best solution according to you.

Thanks. Your answers will for sure be very helpful

Charly

It seems if you trying to do this with google webmaster tools you will be faced with the same problem I do. You can select your geographic target only to have someone at google force the tld regardless of ip..

What they say and what they do as always are two different things and now I can't seem to rank in the us search same problem. I will never pick anything other than .com every again these people seem to use any excuse not to rank us terms

#4 sofomor

sofomor

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:42 AM

cwar,

Google is intelligent at serving query specific results. Don't worry about the duplicate content and follow these tips:

1. Use Webmaster tools to assign particular region to THAT particular website
2. Your TLD will be one of the determining factor as well (already done i guess)
3. Language (already done)
4. Region specific keywords
5. Domain registered in UK or US?
6. Get inbound links from UK sites for the UK one and likewise

These should do it!

Regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the