• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Social Networking Page Url Throwing Odd Characters In G Search

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 houndog

houndog

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:37 PM

Hi,
So I realize this isn't really an SEO question, but thought maybe some of you techies might know. Someone's F-book page, when googled, is showing Chinese characters, or some other language, in the text area where the meta description can sometimes go in G's search for their company name and fbook. Y doesn't even give close to the same search results on this one, so no idea what it shows. But, the URL that is shown in search results has a prefix of ja-jp.f-book.etc. A search for this ja-jp (can I say that?) kind of revealed one other page with the Chinese looking characters, but that's all I know about that. The Page was put together by a firm in India.

It's odd to me that these characters would show up, and the firm really has no comment about it when the owner wants those characters removed. The page shows up fine in F, and is in the search (although I swear, last week, was not coming up in that search, which is why we had to G it).

If this is harmless, and just a result of a developer's geographic location inadvertently inserting stuff for that country, then is this just an awareness issue, that if hiring someone in India to build the page, that something like this could happen?

Thanks!

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

On the surface the symptoms sound like someone had set a different language characterset somewhere in the code. To something other than English. By the initials you used I would guess it was probably Japanese.

#3 houndog

houndog

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:50 PM

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.