• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Best Keywords For New Book

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JSpinx

JSpinx

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:03 AM

Hello everyone, I have a new book coming out called Social Networking for Authors. I am, or course, targeting authors. I have searched Googles keyword tools for "write a book", "publish a book", "sell more books" and a few other similar ones and am overwhelmed at the options. Is it best to choose a balance with a high search volume but low competition ratio?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:23 AM

The best phrases are going to be those that are used by your target market, even if those aren't necessarily the top of the heap in your keyword research tool runs.

Assuming you know who makes up your target market, and it sounds like you may have that important base covered already, try to put yourself in their shoes. If you were to put on your I'm An Buyer hat as an author interested in publishing a book (and is it a book or ebook? Those will lead to different keyword sets probably) and tapping into Social Networking as a traffic channel, what phrases would you use to search for the information?

And try to think of it in two ways since generally people are searching with one of two mindsets. There is the group that are basically looking for information and probably aren't quite ready to buy yet. They're in information collection mode. These are the folks who, as a very general rule, tend to search on broader, less targeted search terms. Understand though that if you're trying to sell them something it's going to be a higher hill to climb.

Then there are the other searchers who realize they have a problem that needs a solution, and has already come to the conclusion that it may cost them a few bucks to get the solution that'll make it all better. They're already in buyer mode, but having already done some research have a better grasp on exactly what they're looking for in a solution to their problem. These folks will, again a very general rule, search for considerably more targeted phrases. These phrases normally won't pull nearly as much traffic as the more general phrases, but if you track sales conversion you'll likely see they convert faaaaaaaaaar more often. Partly because you've done a good job with your site and its pitch, partly because they were already in a buying frame of mind before they ever hit your site.

When I do my keyword research for a new project I try to include some of each. One set usually brings more traffic, which can of course lead to sales, and the other set naturally leads to more sales but usually less traffic. I do actually break them down into those I think the Info/Researchers are going to use more and those Buyers are going to use more. Then I track everything from there and adjust as necessary.

#3 JSpinx

JSpinx

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:27 PM

thanks for the reply, that was very helpful

#4 mal4mac

mal4mac

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:19 AM

Also take a look at the Wordtracker and Trellian keyword tools (free ones will do).

I'm an author and I have searched for pages on social networking for authoring. I started by searching for "social networking", not "write a book". My thinking was that social networking for authors is likely to be similar to general social networking, while "write a book" will return all sorts of things with social networking information hardly likely to make an appearance.

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

Did you end up with a phrase similar to "use social networking to sell books" mal4mac?

That's the first buyers type of longer tail phrase that jumped into my head when I read the original post. wink1.gif

There are a whole slew of them along that line of thought, all of which also target the more general phrases.

#6 mal4mac

mal4mac

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

I didn't look deeply into social networking because I'm a bit of a wallflower embarrassed.gif

But your suggestions are, of course, superb Randy!

To get into those long tail keywords you might need the full Wordtracker tool or similar. I used to do that kind of thing a lot, but then I realised it wasn't so difficult to do well with mid-tail keywords or even some of those that are right up next to the .. er.. back. Still by starting at the end of the tail you can build up confidence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!