• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Penalties

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hippyhoppy

hippyhoppy

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:54 AM

Hey guys,

I have recently been penalized by Google for something and am having a hard time figuring it out. We were ranking on the first page for our industry's most important keywords until this week. The site is almost 2 years old and we have just begun in the Fall 2008 a content expansion, directory submission, social media activities and have been engaging in PPC for 2 years. What I don't understand is why all of the sudden we would be moved to the 4th page of results for just a couple keywords. We had requested some 301 redirects from the company's tech team in India and they put 302's instead. Could this have been the problem? We rectified the situation but have not moved at all. Is anyone else experiencing rank changes in Google right now?

Thanks,
HippyHoppy

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:04 AM

Welcome hippyhoppy! hi.gif

First, don't assume that just because a site has dropped in rankings it's been penalized. More times that not it's not a penalty. And what you describe, dropping from Page 1 to Page 4 doesn't really sound like a penalty. Real penalties are usually a lot more dramatic.

Could the 302's have been a contributing cause? It's possible I suppose, but if that's the case it should correct itself shortly after Googlebot spiders those redirected pages again.

What is probably a more likely cause is that the competition is reasonably close on some of your keyword phrases through the top 40-50 sites and something that was counting for you before is not counting for you now. This can seem like a penalty when it's really not. Say for instance if you were getting some decent umph from some links that have not been devalued for whatever reason. They do this all the time as they try to combat link spam and link manipulation.

If those links happened to be linking to you with the phrases on which you're now struggling a bit the "penalty" would look exactly as you described. Even though it has exactly nothing to do with what you've been doing with your site.

#3 thefandango

thefandango

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:24 AM

Bearing in mind that of the thousands of sites in any one search, there is always going to be a "jostling for position" amongst those at the top of the pile. You need to investigate and jostle back...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.