• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Getting Link Pages Ranked

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gwen

Gwen

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:55 PM

There are some very nice related sites that I would love to exchange links with, but these sites only wish to have their link placed on a link page with some google ranking. That seems reasonable enough, but while my homepage has a page rank of 3, none of my links pages have any rank at all. How does one go about trying to lift the rank of one's link pages?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:55 AM

The only way to increase PageRank is via links, so you're kind of in a catch 22 situation.

The only way to get good links is to have something worth linking to.

#3 Gwen

Gwen

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 18 2009, 05:55 AM) View Post
The only way to increase PageRank is via links, so you're kind of in a catch 22 situation.

The only way to get good links is to have something worth linking to.

Hi Jill, and thanks for your response, but I am still confused. My site overall is, I think, very attractive and well designed and has made a steady climb in the google rankings since I started getting really proactive with SEO about four months ago. Hundreds of sites have linked to me, but they are linking to my home page, not my link pages. Would they have to be linking specifically to a link page in order for that page to enjoy a boost in rank? This is what is confusing to me. While my link pages aren't any more attractive than those of my top competitors, they aren't any less, either...

#4 mal4mac

mal4mac

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

Why not offer them a link from your home page?

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:10 AM

My first question would be how you're linking to your link pages in your internal site structure?

Getting other people to link to link pages is pretty much impossible. Most of them just don't contain fabulous content. So if you want your site's PR to flow to your link pages you'd need to link to them yourself.

My second question would be how your link pages are structured. Are they simply a page full of links to other sites? Or have you beefed the links up with some real, useful to users content, perhaps a short paragraph of text that better describes what these other sites do and why they're valuable enough for you to have chosen to recommend them with a link from your site?

The more unique content you can work into your link pages, the less they look like plain old cookie cutter link pages.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,011 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:04 AM

If you link to your links page from your main navigation so that every page of your site links to it, it will gain a good amount of PageRank.

But using the Google toolbar to measure it is pretty much impossible since they only update it a few times a year. So while it might appear that you have a PR2 it might really be a PR4.

I would avoid linking to any site that requires you to have a certain amount of PR before they'll link back to you. Try to get actual votes to your site rather than doing link trading. This is what I mean about having to have a link worthy site. If you have something worth linking to, people will do so regardless of whether you link back. You just have to let them know you exist and why what you offer would be of interest to their own readers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!