• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Domains, 301 Re-directs And Pr...oh My...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 webdec

webdec

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

I apologize if this has already been asked. I didnt see it in the forum.
My client just went through a corporate name change. This means a new domain name/new website.

The olddomain.com has been around for years and pulls pretty good rankings. I'm trying to maintain that rank as much as possible through this transition but I'm not quite sure what needs to be done.

1: We have a new website and new page names (we're going from .html pages to .php pages and some brand new pages all together)
2: olddomain.com is linked on google everywhere.
3: I am using a Linux server
4: The domains are hosted at yahoo

Based on what I'm reading it sounds like I need to put the new files under newdomain.com and forward olddomain.com to new domain.com. It sounds like I also need to establish 301 re-directs?

Q: Does this mean I should simply update the HTACCESS file to look like this:
CODE
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule (.*) http://www.newdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

Q: Will this take care of the inner pages as well?

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

First check with Yahoo! Hosting to see if you can even use .htaccess. I know on some of their hosting accounts they don't allow this sort of thing. I know it used to be the case with Yahoo! Stores accounts, because I moved a site from their hosting a couple of years ago because .htaccess wasn't an available option.

Then assuming you can use mod_rewrite, you're close. But since you've also got some filename changes you'll want to deal with them in the same redirect if possible.

Is it a case where all of the old .html files are still going to exist under the same filename, except with a .php extension? And that you're simply adding new .php pages to the mix?

As long as all of the former .html files will still be there just with a .php extension it should be pretty straight forward. If some of those pages have changed you might need to set up some additional redirects for those individual pages.

For a mass redirect from .html pages to .php pages from the old domain/server to the new domain/server the following should do the trick when placed in the old domain's .htaccess.

CODE
Options +FollowSymLinks
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule (.*)\.html http://www.newdomain.com/$1.php [R=301,L]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.