• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Redirect 301 - 500 Server Error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AndyGua

AndyGua

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:45 AM

I have a strange issue:

Just converted from Actinic to magento and putting in 301 redirects:

CODE
Redirect 301 /Category/Cleaners.html http://www.myurl.co.uk/cleaners [NC,L]

Works fine...
However Actinic also created the folloing page which is indexed in Google:

/gbu0-catshow/Cleaners.html

So im using the two Redirects:

CODE
Redirect 301 /Category/Cleaners.html http://www.myurl.co.uk/cleaners [NC,L]
Redirect 301 /gbu0-catshow/Cleaners.html http://www.myurl.co.uk/cleaners [NC,L]

This causes a 500 error!!

After testing it works when I only insert (one or many) directories of the same type, either
/category/
or
/gbu0-catshow/

But when I use both, ERRORS...

Any ideas

thanks

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:56 AM

Welcome Andy ! hi.gif

I haven't tested this one specifically, but I think you may be mixing up the capabilities of the mod_alias and mod_rewrite way of doing redirects. The Redirect 301 type of redirects are mod_alias. And mod_alias doesn't use flags like the [NC,L] you've got on the end of those. Those flags are used with mod_rewrite redirects.

My guess is those may be causing your internal server error, assuming everything else is correct. Try dropping those flags and see if that fixes the problem.

#3 AndyGua

AndyGua

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

Hi Randy,

Yes, originally I didn't have the flags in (and it didnt work), so I put them in just in case.
So I have tried it both ways, I have also tried the "Redirect Permanent" command - but no sucess.

I'm baffled with this problem and have never experienced it before. Im guessing it is something to do with Magento??

Any other ideas welcome :-)

thanks

Andrew

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:27 AM

Yeah, it's almost gotta be something with the server configuration. Which is going to be very hard to sort out without knowing the exact configuration.

It might be instructive to run the urls through a tool like WebBug just to make sure it's your redirect that's throwing the error, and not something that's happening transparently in a later redirect. Make sure you use HTTP Ver 1.1 in the upper right corner if you use WebBug. It defaults to Version 1.0, which was incredibly buggy.

Do you have access to your raw log files? If so, check your error log. On a standard *nix system this will usually be named error_log and will be housed in a special folder just for log files. You'll usually get better info about errors if you view the actual error that was logged by the server.

As far as other ideas, it's a stab in the dark without knowing more details of what's happening. The only one that leaps to mind is to perhaps try using RedirectMatch 301 instead of Redirect 301 to see if it makes any difference. It shouldn't normally with what you're trying to do, but when there's a potential configuration issue it wouldn't hurt to give RedirectMatch a try.

#5 AndyGua

AndyGua

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:02 AM

Ok thanks for the help - I'll give your ideas a try.

Andrew

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

You might also want to simply fire off a message to your hosting company to see if they can give you some more detailed info about the server configuration. It's an issue I'm sure they've run into before if they have a non-standard setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.