• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Homepage Not Ranking?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 JackJJW

JackJJW

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:54 AM

Hi all,

I have a new blog (7 weeks old) and so I'm guessing this may be an age issue, but it's weird because all pages rank really highly, usually top 10, on most search terms (which are more specific 2 - 3 word terms). However, my main homepage doesn't seem to rank at all on my main 1 word keyterm. Admittedly this keyword has far more competition, but after going through hundreds of Google pages my site simply doesn't seem to appear at all. Despite other sites in it having poor, out of date or much less content. My site is a wordpress blog.

Could it be that Google recognises my main keyterm, but because of my site's 'newness' it's holding me in the sandbox until the site is more trusted?

Thank-you!

Jack

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

Two things...

Have you searched for a specific phrase that appears on your home page to make sure it has been indexed? If not, that's where I'd start.

If the page has been indexed but simply isn't ranking you're probably looking at a combination of lack of relevant backlinks to the home page using that one-word keyword as the anchor text and/or the sheer competition level of such a general keyword.

#3 JackJJW

JackJJW

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:09 AM

Hi Randy,

Good suggestion - the homepage is included, just not ranking for the keyword.

I guess it is backlinks / competition then. It just seems incredible when 60 - 80 pages of results consist of 80-90% poor and limited content in comparison. Hopefully as backlinks grow I'll be able to leap frog them! :o)

Jack

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

Is that important keyword phrase in the home page's Title tag? Are there anchor text links using that phrase that point to it as well?

#5 JackJJW

JackJJW

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:59 AM

Hi Jill, that's something I've been wondering. Say my site name is "One two" it's keyword 'One' I want to rank for, so when people link to me they tend to use anchor text links with "One two". My site title does include the keyword. Do I need to try and get the anchor text links to be more specific and use "One" only?

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:02 AM

Reality is trying to target just a single word keyword is a pretty fruitless exercise. Not only is it hard to accomplish and takes significant time, but if/when you do reach the lofty goal you're going to end up getting a lot more terribly UNtargeted traffic, traffic which simply doesn't convert.

You'll be much better served to target slightly more specific phrases, ones that will probably include your one word keyword.

#7 JackJJW

JackJJW

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:20 AM

True, thanks Randy - I am going after the more specific phrases primarily, but the single phrase is a place name (that the site is about) and other sites don't have as much content. Nevermind, I will leave it for a few months to see what happens. Thanks for all of your help.

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:01 PM

Just remember that as long as your longer phrases include the single phrase, you're still optimizing for the single phrase also.

So you're still doing it, just not counting specifically on showing up for the one word phrase.

#9 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:23 AM

this could also be down to the http header returned from your site homepage. Domains are sometimes set up pretty pants by certain registrars or hosts.
Check it with something like the webconfs tool and see if you get a 200 response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!