• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seo For Site With 2 Different Types Of Domain Names

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 axis

axis

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:36 PM

I want to optimize a site for search engines that's formatted like the following: companyxyz.com/myname

The way I'm thinking I can do it is to buy a domain of my own and point it to the above type site companyxyz.com/myname Then I would do blog posts and article marketing using my domain. I've read that Google doesn't like it when there are 2 or more domains that point to the same site (duplicate content), but that there is a way to tell Google which one you want it to use for crawling purposes. Is this true and if so, how can I let Google know that I want it to pay attention only to my domain? I'm very eager to learn from you experts and thanks in advance:)

Jeffrey

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:14 PM

Welcome Jeffrey ! hi.gif

I'm not clear on why you would want to do this, other than maybe to save on some hosting costs, but yes you can let Google and all the rest know which version you want to be seen.

First it would be wise to set up a robots.txt exclusion on one or the other. If you're doing it from the companyz.com site (and I assume that's the one you're looking to block?) simply set up a robots.txt disallow for the whole /myname/ subdirectory.

Google also now allows you to use a meta canonical tag to direct their spiders to the correct url address. That's more to correct issues after the fact, but I suppose one could do it on the front end too. I don't recall hearing of any of the other engines jumping on the meta canonical tag yet.

You could also set up a 301 redirect if it became necessary and do it just for that subdirectory. Easy to do if you're on a Unix/Linux box. Not quite so easy if you're on an IIS box and don't have access to ISAPI filters. But again I don't think you'd even need to do this if you started out doing the robots.txt exclusion from the very beginning.

#3 axis

axis

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:16 PM

Hi Randy, Thanks for your speedy and thoughtful reply. The reason I want to do this is because I've heard that Google doesn't like url's that are formatted like: companyxyz.com/johndoe (which is not owned by me and I cannot get access to the cpanel), so I wanted to hide that fact by buying a Godaddy domain and pointing it at the companyxyz.com/johndoe url. The companyxyz.com/johndoe website is a marketing business opportunity that I'm excited about because it comes with 5 niche products and 2 years worth of follow up autoresponder messages that inform and sell other products. All in all, it really sounds like they know what they're doing. I'll pay a monthly fee for access to their marketing system which includes my websites that are formatted like: companyxyz.com/johndoe (substitute their company name and my first and last name).

This being the case, is there anything I can do with Google analytics or with Godaddy that can tell the Google spiders to ignore the domain formatted like: companyxyz.com/johndoe

I guess a more important question would be: Is it really true that Google doesn't rank sites well if they're formatted like: companyxyz.com/johndoe? Thanks for your patience, I'm sure it's a little frustrating for you to deal with a novice like me, but I put together a site of my own and it's just not working for me so I'm looking for something that's been done by a professional person or company that's ready to go except for the promotion part which I plan on doing with article marketing and blogging. I really lack confidence in the site I made eventhough it looks okay to me. I'm just affraid I've made technical mistakes that will hinder both my SEO and visitor experience as well as it may have some issues loading in browsers other than firefox and ie.

Thanks again,

Jeffrey

[Edited to break inadvertent live links. FTR, if you leave the http bit off of the front of your example urls the forum won't automatically try to turn them into links.]

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

guess a more important question would be: Is it really true that Google doesn't rank sites well if they're formatted like: companyxyz.com/johndoe?

No it's not true. URLs formatted like those you've been mentioning are just fine with Google and all of the rest of the search engines. Assuming the base domain itself hasn't been penalized they should stand as good of a chance to rank as the same pages on a standalone domain.

If I can hazard a guess as to why someone may have told you this...

Are your pages going to be produced by someone else where there's a very high chance that there may already been several (or several hundred or several thousand) other pages out there with exactly the same content? I'm betting this package is probably something that has been sold to others, so there may already be a lot of the same content out there. Some on the companyxyz.com domain and some on other domains that are being aliased to the same location like you were asking about.

If that's the case it's not going to matter whether you use your own domain or theirs. The pages are still going to get filtered out of the organic search results. The search engines just don't like to show the same content over and over again, regardless of whether it's on the same domain or different domains. You would need to have Unique content on your pages to keep them from being filtered.

If you can't change the content you'll need to use other channels to drive traffic. Such as PPC, getting affiliates to sell for you, creating other content that will pull organic search engine traffic and then direct those folks over to your sales site, etc.

#5 axis

axis

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:12 PM

Yes Randy, you're right about there being many untold numbers of identical sites like the one I plan to purchase, and yes, that must be the reason I can't expect it to appear in organic search results. What was I thinking? Who knows? But thank you very much any way. So, what you're telling me then, is that what I need to do is build SEO for my blog and direct traffic from there to the marketing site I've been talking about, correct?

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:00 PM

That's really the only course open to you if you want organic traffic. Those duplicated pages just aren't going to show up in the SERPs without being scored at the most relevant of all of the duplicates. Which frankly isn't likely to happen.

If you can build your own unique pages and then get this traffic into your sales funnel it can still work though.

#7 jon-d

jon-d

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:00 PM

Maybe you should put a copy of the page companyxyz.com/johndoe on your own domain, exclude your domain in robots txt, build quick cheap links to your domain (mass directory and article submission) then when the time is right 301 redirect your domain to the companyxyz.com/johndoe page? whistling.gif

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:48 AM

QUOTE(jon-d @ Jun 20 2009, 06:00 PM) View Post
Maybe you should put a copy of the page companyxyz.com/johndoe on your own domain, exclude your domain in robots txt, build quick cheap links to your domain (mass directory and article submission) then when the time is right 301 redirect your domain to the companyxyz.com/johndoe page? whistling.gif

Then why would they even need the example.com/johndoe site?

#9 axis

axis

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:05 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 21 2009, 09:48 AM) View Post
Then why would they even need the example.com/johndoe site?

Because the example.com/johndoe site is a prebuilt marketing site that I do not have the time or (at present) the talent to put together. I have to pay a monthly fee to access it. Hope that clarifies things.smile.gif

#10 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:24 AM

No it doesn't clarify things actually. Because it's still not going to help any with organic rankings. Either is still going to end up being filtered because of the duplicate content.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.