• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Tool

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SEMMatt

SEMMatt

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:37 AM

Hello,

Is there a tool that let's me scan PDFs, PPTS and other materials on my desktop computer for keywords such as like Google's Adwords External Keyword tool?

Thanks,
Matt

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 11:29 AM

Google's desktop search can kinda do that.

#3 SEMMatt

SEMMatt

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 15 2009, 12:29 PM) View Post
Google's desktop search can kinda do that.

Thanks Jill, but I don't see that Google Toolbar can actually create a list of keywords that it finds in my files like Google Adwords Keyword Tool does. Am I missing that?

Matt

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:22 AM

I said google desktop, not google toolbar.

With the desktop search you can put in any words you want to check for and it will search all your files to see which have them.

#5 SEMMatt

SEMMatt

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 17 2009, 09:22 AM) View Post
I said google desktop, not google toolbar.

With the desktop search you can put in any words you want to check for and it will search all your files to see which have them.

Ah, sorry my typo. But it was actually Google Desktop that I downloaded and installed. And, although it's a nice tool for many other purposes including search of all files and their contents, it doesn't give me the keyword index that I'm trying to derive from a set of files which I have. You know when you use Adwords tool and tell it a webpage and it comes back with a bunch of keywords that it "sees" from that page. That's what I want but for desktop and offline purposes.

Matt

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:46 AM

Ohhhh! You're trying to go the opposite way, where you're extracting keywords from the documents instead of searching them for predefined keywords.

I'm not aware of any such tool for those file types you mentioned. I'm thinking at this point it would probably have to be an add on of another tool that first parses through and converts the text in those PDF and PPT files into plain text docs first. There are tools that will do this for each file type, though I'm not sure any tool exists that would do it for both.

That said let's think outside the box a bit. wink1.gif

There's a framework Zend ported over from Java to PHP some time ago you can find by doing a search for Zend_Search_Lucene. It'll allow you to do all sorts of data parsing for Powerpoint (2007, not sure about other versions), Excel, Word and even html documents. If you combined the capabilities of Zend_Search_Lucene with XPDF you should be able to get something that works for both of the file types you mentioned. XPDF does have the ability to parse through the various information, including the text, of a PDF file. Which can them be fed to the Zend_Search_Lucene.

I've not seen anybody actually do it, but it wouldn't surprise if someone hasn't already figured it out since it's at least possible in theory.

#7 SEMMatt

SEMMatt

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:55 AM

Thanks Randy. How would actual extraction of keywords from documents be handled in the scenario...will Zend Lucene do that?

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:56 PM

I've not played with it much myself, other than a couple of quick tests when I was thinking about using it for a little site search utility. The Zend framework was waaaaaaaaaay more than I needed so I dropped it at that point and built my own little thing that did exactly what I needed and no more.

It does however some scoring stuff integrated right into the framework. So in a general sense yes it should be able to extract keywords for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!