• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Difference In Search Results Within Google

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vijayakumar

vijayakumar

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:59 AM

Hello there,

This is another excellent forum, good topics and great participation from members.

I have a query and appreciate if someone can help.

When you do a google search for a keyword, the search result comes up, you have 2 options - "the web" and "pages from 'country name'. Default the search is "the web" but when you choose "pages from "country name", the rank position of a website for the same keyword differs in both search results.

Can someone please explain?

Or it happens b'cose google database for the web search results is different from the database for the particular country?

Thanks in advance. I am sorry if I have repeated this question, a user may have already queries and I haven't noticed this forum.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:00 AM

Welcome vijayakumar ! hi.gif

I've moved your question since the answer you're looking for is sort of in this section of the forum. The pinned topic above will tell you how to get a site to rank better for those regional searches.

To answer your question on the searcher's side of things more directly, Google (and some of the other biggies) try to detect where you're located by looking at the IP number from which you're connecting to their site. As part of their Personalization of Search movement over the last few years they are using this information in an effort to attempt to deliver the most relevant results to you for your searches. In doing so they give you the option of seeing sites they have identified as being those that are located in your country or region, or of doing a more worldwide search.

The two databases may contain some of the same information, but it's processed completely differently on their end. Thus the results are often going to change dramatically.

That's what you're seeing.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:04 AM

The ones from just your country are going to be from a smaller dataset than those from the entire world, so it makes sense that the search results would be completely different.

In other words, there's less competition when looking at the country-specific results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!